Chapter 10: Done With You

"I'm done with you."

"...What?" I said. "W-wait a minute. What does that mean?"

"I'll put it plainly so you can understand," Natalie simply replied. "Get out of my sight."

"But... but why..."

"I kept you around for the business deal with Davidson. But now that the deal's gone through, I don't need you anymore."

"It's been a while since you made the deal, so why now?" I asked.

"Do you need me to spell it out for you?"

The man pulls Natalie closer to him and she smiles at me.

What, she doesn't need me because she has a new boyfriend?

"But I thought..."

I thought we were developing a real, equal relationship. I thought she wasn't just using me.

She told me about her past and everything, but I guess I'm the only one who felt that way.

"Oh, are you worried about the suits and shoes I bought you?" Natalie asked with a smirk. "I'll let you keep them."

I feel a mixture of frustration and sadness and can't hold back my tears.

"I don't want to see such a pathetic sight. If you're going to cry, wait until you leave," Natalie scowled.

"I'm not crying!" I yelled.

The sparkling ring on my right ring finger catches my eye.

This is the ring she bought when we were alone together.

I've been wearing it ever since that day, but now I take it off and set it on a nearby table.

I was an idiot thinking there was anything special behind this ring. I'm so stupid...

"Excuse me."

It takes everything I have to bow my head to her, reverting back to a hotel employee, and then I leave her room. I'll never come back here again. I bite my lip and get on the elevator.

***

Several days pass before I see Natalie again.

"Alex, were you told to get all the amenities ready yourself?" Alan asked.

"Yes. But it's all right; I'm used to it," I replied.

"I think Aaron's bullying is going too far. Maybe you should tell Miss. Lei?"

"If I don't complain about him, he'll get tired of it eventually."

He still thinks Natalie and I are dating, even though we're not. But right now I should just concentrate on work and not think about anything else.

I only got involved with her by complete accident. I wanted her to let me go so badly, so why do I feel so unhappy now that it's all over?

Why can't I forget her?

After I'm done making the bed, I stand up and suddenly Natalie's pager falls out of my pocket.

"Oops..."

Maybe I should return this? Or maybe I should just throw it away...

"That reminds me. You haven't gotten a page from the penthouse lately," Alan mentioned.

"Yeah."

"I guess everything's calmed down since the I.V.C. ended, hm?"

"Yeah..."