Chapter 5: Lucky Charm

“Team Devourers! We need your help!” The Pokémons in the Square panicked as they told us about the legendary Pokémon, Rayquaza, running amok.

“Rayquaza was disturbed from its sleep maybe because of the earthquakes happening lately.” A Pokémon stated as the other Pokémons agreed.

“Your team is our only hope! All of the other rescue teams were backing out.” Another Pokémon stated and the other Pokémons agreed yet again.

“Don’t worry! We will go for it!” I said to the crowd as they cheered.

“Rindou, as optimistic as always.” Charm commented, and then she turned to face the crowd and told them that our team will go there once we’re ready.

-----

“Alright!” Our first mission as a gold ranking team! Who’s ready?” I asked as Spoink and Pichu agreed to go on this mission with us.

“That’s great! Let’s go prepare our things first.” I said as I began to go back home to prepare.

-----

“Hey Rindou? May I talk to you for a moment?” Charm was following behind me all along.

“What is it?”

Charm hesitated for a second. “It has been a long time since we first met. Remember our first mission together as a rookie team? Look at us now. I feel so happy that this rescue team was such a success. I couldn’t forget the day when we first met. Ha ha! Everything changed since then, you know. New Pokémons joining our rescue team, many Pokémons counting on us… I just feel so overwhelmed.” Charm said as she felt sentimental.

“Oh, don’t be so emotional, Charm! We’re a great team right? So, what’s bothering you then?” I asked curiously.

She sighed as she hand over me a necklace. “I just wanna thank you because you’re such a cool friend. Here, it’s a lucky charm.  It may look like just a seed but it brings good luck.”

“Oh, thanks.” I smiled as I grab the necklace and wear it.

I was about to turn around when Charm called me again. “Rindou, I just wanna ask you this one last question.”

“Yeah?” I looked at her and she felt uneasy all of a sudden.

“Do you miss your home world?”

I was speechless and thought about it deeply.

“Oh, you spaced out. Sorry.” She looked sad all of a sudden.

“No, no. I mean, I like it here.” I smiled as she looked at me with a surprised expression.

“Really? So it means that you like staying here even if you’re not from here?! Ha ha. Maybe, I guess you’re enjoying our friendship.” She laughed and her sadness disappeared immediately.

Uh-oh! This girl is having mood swings! She’s so complicated. Ah, girls…

“Hello? Why do you keep on spacing out? Weirdo.” She smiled as I just laughed.

-----

The four of us had finally arrived at the Sky Tower. Whoa, this place is made up of clouds! Spoink used her psychic powers to prevent us from falling off the sky as we continued to climb on. We fought various types of sky Pokémons until we finally arrived at Rayquaza’s throne.

“Who dares trespass my domain?!” Rayquaza, a giant dragon-like Pokémon, demanded as he glared at us.

“We’re Team Devourers and we are here to put you to sleep!” Charm said boldly.

“Yes. You’re going down, Rayquaza!” Spoink spoke confidently as both she and Pichu began attacking Rayquaza. Charm and I also joined the battle.

-----

Spoink and Pichu fainted from battle while Charm and I were severely weakened. It was so hard getting close enough to Rayquaza and throw the Sleep Seed. It is our one hit chance!

Rayquaza got enraged as it prepared to fire its Hyper Beam. Charm got careless and got too close. Damn, it’s point-blank range! She’ll die if she got hit.

I quickly charged right in to push Charm away as I throw the Sleep Seed at Rayquaza. It was too late. Rayquaza already fired the beam and both Cham and I got caught in.

There was a huge explosion and I was surrounded by a ray of light shining from my chest as the light finally engulfed me in its brightness. Did I die? I slowly lose consciousness as I heard an unfamiliar voice.

“Do you wish to save your friend or yourself?”

“Huh?” I opened my eyes and saw myself in human form floating in the light surrounding me. I have no clue who was talking.

“Do you wish to save your friend or yourself?” The mysterious voice repeated the question.

Realization suddenly struck me. Both Charm and I died. I saw her lifeless body floating. “I wanna save Charm.” I said finally as a tear escaped from my eye. It was better for me to die than see her gone.