Prologue Part 1

The day we had to ourselves, the first day we had that we could choose what we wanted to do--the best day of our lives so far--was amazing. Amazing was an understatement, it was more mind baffling than it was amazing. We had a choice! For the first time in years, we weren't under lock and key, we weren't being monitored every second of every day by a lidless eye. We were free. And it stayed like that, for the most part. We got the odd glare from people who truly believed President Gray, that us kids were monsters--and while they were right to think that, not anymore. The day that we stormed Thurmond, was the day everything changed. From laws to ourselves. You would be arrested if you did anything to the remaining kids that would've been deemed okay to do to us so called "Monsters." before we saved everyone. We all changed. It was like something clicked in our brains, we weren't scared of adults or ourselves, we didn't have to be. We were safe. For the first time since all of us changed, we were safe. And that was the best feeling in the world, feeling okay and knowing that you are in fact safe and you aren't tricking yourself. It really was. It was a weight off our shoulders, it felt like we were so light then that we could just fly away with a slight breeze. Like we weren't different and that we were accepted. It was unbelievable years ago to feel like any of us, the survivers, would ever be accepted in society unless you were Clancy Gray, the boy who we hoped to be years ago, when we hoped to walk out the gates of whatever camp we were in, like the world was ours and no one could stop us from feeling great about ourselves. But now we could feel how we wanted, free, alive and accepted. The greatest feelings of all.