Chapter 9: Monster Zero, Collision Course

The Parallax was caught in a frantic chase with the golden hydra, swerving from left to right as the creature's beams struck dangerously close to the ship's hull. Rutile concentrated on the barrage of information that was coming into the pilot's central computer. Ghidorah seemed like a white blob on the main radar screen, one that was honing in on them. 

"Amethyst, get over to the engines right now!" Emerald commanded. 

She did as instructed, and Ruby, acting on instinct, took the helm of the ship's laser weaponry. Ghidorah was large enough that most of the shots landed, but to no serious effect. Each retaliatory blast dissipated into nothingness. The dragon merely cackled at the attempt to harm it. 

The captain, fighting against the swelling of terror within, began to formulate a plan. The ship made a sudden turn to the port-side, dodging a violent snap of the beast's many sets of jaws and the beating of his vast wings. 

"W-what is going on?" stammered Pearl as she crashed against the wall, pushed by the change in momentum. She did not know better than to question the captain's orders. At best, the maneuver seemed to annoy the creature more than anything. 

"Take us back around the station, then fly us over it when we reach optimal distance." 

"Captain, that's risky even for us..." said Rutile, less than enthusiastic about what Emerald was about to try. "We might end up crashing the ship!"

Emerald glared at the pilot as she turned her head. There was no room for debate, and moments later, the Parallax was surging forward with immense speed. Ruby pressed on with her laser barrage, drawing Ghidorah out so that he would follow the craft. The ship itself was now bait.

It was then that Rutile considered the strange and eerie beauty of the planet, a lonely tan-colored orb in the middle of nowhere. The space station, the last companion of the gaseous world, was about to meet a grisly end.  

The Parallax swerved over the antennas fitted atop the station right before it could collide with the derelict. The dragon noticed this far too late, and his mass crashed into the already-busted thing, sending millions of metal shards into the vacuum of space. What fires broke out were swiftly extinguished by the rapid loss of oxygen.

Ghidorah was staggered. Nevertheless, he emerged on the other side of the station's ruined frame without a scratch. Not even the dagger-like debris could pierce his scales. He drifted motionless for a few seconds, giving the crew a false hope of his defeat. 

The beast hissed, for he was no longer amused by this chase. His wings flapped several times, trying to regain his lost speed. Emerald shut off the engines once Ghidorah had spotted them again. This was what her plan amounted to. 

"We have to get out of here! Can't we hit lightspeed before it gets us?!" 

"Wait for it..." the captain raised her hand, ignoring Pearl's state of justified panic. "Just a little bit more..."

The front view of the ship was filled with the image of the hydra, an image that appeared to grow as it closed the distance between them. Emerald kept her hand raised. The captive Simian muttered a prayer to his ancestral gods, believing that he would join them shortly. 

"All power to the engines, now!" said Emerald as she brought her hand down. 

The Parallax whirred to life and shot out like an arrow. The dragon did not change course, for he did not anticipate that something so small could do any real damage. The bow of the ship, however, sliced into Ghidorah's raised middle throat. The head of the beast was severed. 

He shrieked in pain as blood streamed out of the wound. The enormous droplets formed odd, red-colored orbs in whichever direction the stump slithered. The other two heads felt everything that the middle experienced, and they were dazed in agony.