HIM6

"You had to have expected another to come."   

"Aren't kings allowed to dream?"

"Not when it comes to dreams that involve slaughtering their court."

"Not everyone," I huffed, leaning into the back of my chair, crossing my arms over my chest.  "I appreciate a handful of the houses."

"Then I ought to be thankful you have such large-" he glanced down delicately. "hands."

My claws fisted up on instinct, sharp points nearly tearing into the fabric of my vest, an automatic defense rising out of me on the tip of my tongue. I bit it before giving him a wolfish grin. 

"Should I make my next dinner a partnered one? Did you not say you wish to dine with Faustus more?" I mused nonchalantly, at once, Allan paled before narrowing his eyes, bristling. 

"No one has meals with you, merely tense sittings where food tastes like ash, and someone walks away with a scolding or no legs." He spit out, clutching the stuffed file in his hands.

"You can not walk away without legs." I pointed out with a grin.

"You can, however, crawl," he snapped. My smile fell. Narrowing my eyes, I leaned forward.

"I do not think you are allowed to back talk to your king." 

"I would do no such thing, if you feel as if I have, please I ask of you, remove this foolish head of-" With a lift of a hand, he immediately straightened up and cleared his throat, his usual calm mask in place. "Now, shall I inform you of your next bridal candidate, or will you start more topics of which we can argue about until dinner arrives, and I then I'll have to summarize it all. I can hand you the summary now if you would like, I have one on all of your perspective brides."

"Allan."

"Yes, Sire?"

"Proceed."

"Thank you, Sire, as always, a wise choice." My growl paused him only momentarily before he continued. "The only daughter of Baron Evan, Lady Isabelle, will arrive later this evening and will dine with you tomorrow after she is situated."

"Baron Evan's family is declining if I am not mistaken? 

"Yes, his wife passed shortly after the birth of their only child, and he secluded himself in the farther region of their property. While they had plentiful crops and wages were paid, he did little to look over their lands, causing mercenaries and the other lords to raise taxes on those who wished to cross over. They are in the midst of figuring out what to do next."

"And the girl? I presume she volunteered as all others?"

"Correct, no doubt in hopes of finding a way to fix her family problems with marriage or the right question."

"Hopefully she asks for help instead of marriage." I opened and closed my fist, pressing my nails into the rough skin of my palm, just enough for my nails to sting a bit before placing my hands on the desk.

"I will be the first to remind you, Sire, that you need to be wed before-" He began once more as if I hadn't heard the same thing from others. I did not need to be reminded. Looking at my reflection was enough of a reminder, even my shadow aided in this subject. I glanced down at the oddly shaped shadow I cast.

"And I will point out to you that the first to remind me of my predicament are the new horns growing at the top of my head, and the ever pressing need to rid myself of these clothes." Reaching up, the tip of my fingers ran over the rough texture of horn. It was not the cold, smooth texture of my tail.