HER11

"You've been doing a good job so far." Came the comment from behind me. I looked over my shoulder to see Ensley carrying Princess Ruby's discarded morning dress. I handed her the chosen set of afternoon clothes as we swapped. "Does that mean your nerves are made of steel or that you've learned how to suppress them?"

"What do you mean?" I laid out her dress for whoever was in charge of cleaning it to come to collect it later.

"I mean," she said with a roll of her eyes. "You've been nearly perfect since yesterday. Doesn't that make the pressure all the worse for when you mess up?" Eying her, I couldn't decide if she was trying to get a rouse out of me again or if she was actually curious again. She was always in a state of wither, or unless it came to the Princess. There, she was polite and helpful, with a playful undertone that seemed to exasperate Hallie as she tried to keep the Princess on schedule.

I shrugged. "Well, if I do as I'm told, then I don't see why I'll mess up."

"Ah, so it will be our fault for guiding you wrong, you mean?" Her brows went up. "How dare a commoner say such a thing." she cried with mock indignation. That was another odd thing about her. She was a noble, a Baron's daughter I believe, but one who had an almost decent view on commoners. In no way did she think we were equal, but she did seem to think commoners were interesting in a pet type of way.

"Forgive me, my lady." I bowed slightly, playing along. She chuckled. "Should I now be worried about the instructions I receive?"

"You should always be worried about what you're told to do. Things change fast around here. Don't let the peace fool you." Hallie called out, sticking her head in to frown at us. "Come along, we have to get her to her mathematics class."

Serving a Princess was easier, with two around, since the Princess stared a lot at me, but didn't seem to want to ask any questions that might thwart her mystery game. Sir Firat, true to his word, kept a close eye on me whenever I came close, but neither he nor I spoke to one another. Today was only the second day of being around, getting my bearings in order. Like the first time I came to this wing with Sir Gerald, my previous assessment was correct. There were knights stationed at nearly every entrance, servants coming and going in pairs or groups. Walking around alone would not raise too many suspicions. If I managed to get my hands on a uniform, the issue would then be how. I already had little Christoph on my list of unwilling candidates at the moment.

Hallie worked as the Princess's main maid, waiting on her every need and preparing things beforehand to facilitate anything she needed, not necessarily wanted. Ensley eased the strictness with her banter and playfulness, but followed through with Hallie's orders and often won the Princess over with promises of cookies or playtime. Which left me trying to figure out what it was that I was supposed to do. It was clear I was Her Highness' own personal mystery, but I could see as time went on and the Princess and I seldomly talked, the other two were beginning to wonder how I had been chosen. During her first class, a servant approached me but informed Hallie that I had been called by Madame Lotta. Ignoring me, they lead me to her before leaving without a word. Further proof that Ensley's behavior was perhaps a unique opinion about my existence within the castle. I couldn't imagine my shabby lower maid's uniform helping me, as it pointed out where my rank was, regardless of what I was doing here.

As always, with a stack of papers and her nicely held up, she directed the handful of servants in tasks, I stood off to the side. They paid me no mind as their eyes remained on her, focused and serious. When she dismissed them, she turned to me, eyeing my face.

"There's not been a complaint of your work yet, and the Princess has yet to dismiss you, so clearly you must be doing something well." She said bluntly. Unsure if this was a compliment or a disgruntled jab, my right brow twitched, but I reminded silent, waiting. Her chin rose the slightest bit at my silence. "Yes, something indeed." She murmured softly. Was me not getting dismissed such a rarity? The thought darkened my mood.