HER7

I was not sure, now that I had a few more days of working here, why I had been so off-putting by working within the castle. The days started early, the work never ending, cold hands depending on where the work took me, but the best part was that unless it was related to work, everyone kept to themselves when on castle ground. 'The walls have ears and the guards claws' was all Violetta said. It was enough for me to understand that this was not like the grand palace of Vahellian. I sighed at the fun memory, missing the scorching hot days, light fabrics and cold drinks. Here was just cold in general, from the people, food and ambiance. I suppose as Marie, it was perfect.

I picked up the bucket of cold water, tied the cleaning cloth to the bucket handle, and made my way after Violeta. She had pointed to the bucket and waddled off minutes ago. After looking around, I figured what she wanted me to do was fill it and bring it to her. I didn't mind the labor, but she could have at least spoken the request. I walked over to where she was slowly, watching as her breath fanned out in front of her in the cold of the morning. 

It was cold all of the time, if I was honest, the only difference being that night and morning won the crown for the worst times to be out and about without a coat. I had to admit to myself that I liked the ambiance here so far. The castle was surrounded by an immense forest that went farther than even my eyes could see, wild life thriving around on the daily. The trees barren as leaves fell to the ground and froze solid by night fall. Although I had seen snow before, I wondered what the mornings would look like here once snow fell. 

"What are we going to do today?" I asked, setting down the bucket. Her arms were crossed over her chest, her hands tucked into her armpits as she sought the warmth of her body.

"You're awfully cheery."

"Today is a good day to work."

"Let's see how long that lasts." She grumbled, before nodding over to a group of people holding buckets of their own. Some had dazed and sleepy looks. 

As long as no one looks too closely at me, was the answer. 

*                                                *                                               *

When the midday meal finally arrived, I was ravenous. I was eating well here, no doubt, but there was a distinctive lack of meat every day. Oh how I could kill for more than a portion of meat, cooked into soup. Everyone gathered in their partnerships of mentors with their charge. Violeta gave me a face as soon as I tried to sit with her, so I quickly left her be, or friends they had quickly made. On the first day, I sat with Andy and some of the other's who were as new as we were, but on the second day there had been more distinctive groupings of people coming together.

The bread was devoured in less than four bites, while I stuffed the cheese and some grapes into my pockets. I was quick to drink the water, couching as bit when it felt as if I were swallowing a soft rock. I rubbed at my throat for a moment. I had eaten a little too fast, but I had to take this break time to explore. It was safe to explore now that a few more people had seen my 'face' and recognized me as a worker. A new face walking around would be too familiar of a memory if anything went wrong. Other girls had already gotten scolded on the first day for slacking off during work, because their curiosity had gotten the best of them. Security here was very observant to those who came and those who broke schedule. If you were given fifteen minutes to do things and finished within twenty or more, you were watched for the rest of the day. 

The help was allowed a space close to the kitchens to eat and break. I suppose someone had realized allowing us to eat in the servant's quarters and then having to return would waste too much time. The break room faced the courtyard, so we had a nice view of the flowers and sculptures set. I was far more interested in walking around the courtyard, casing the doors and peering in through the windows. There were four guards at two separate doors, both far from each other. Their uniform was a dark brown with bronze colored capes and black helmets that fully covered their faces. I had never had to wear a helmet before, but in this cold, regardless of how impressive they looked, I could not imagine it providing any warmth. I took a handful of grape and cheese in one hand and began my slow walk around the courtyard, sticking to the walls as closely as possible, but keeping my head facing forward as I brought one to my mouth and chewed slowly.