ein­und­zwanzig.

AFTER COMING HOME from a dizzying moment, you rushed to grab your laptop from your room as well as other materials you think you needed. you had to finish some of your homework that was needed tomorrow, even if your bed was slowly calling out to you to sleep. even if you wanted to, you couldn't afford to cram again later morning. 

     you'd rather not repeat what happened the other day. 

     "this is stupid," you mumbled tiredly, shaking your head before opening up your laptop. you grabbed one of your notebooks and began reading your homework and answered some questions you were confident in while waiting for your laptop to start.

     it was dark in the living room and your only light source was the screen of your laptop. you were too lazy to stand up and turn the light on and you decided that the screen would be enough for you to use as a light source, it was bright as a sun anyway. sure, you might ruin your vision with that tactic but you already ruined your health with your messed up sleeping schedule. why not make it worse, right? kidding, of course.

     not only that, the darkness of the room somewhat gave the living room a creepy yet comforting ambiance and you prefer it that way.

     after a few minutes of writing and searching, you find your hands hovering over your keyboard. you paused and stared at the blank google screen, your head suddenly pounding and swirling with the information from a while ago pouring in. you clutched your head and closed your eyes, taking a deep breath to be calm and focus on your work. thinking about that wasn't going to help you with your homework.

     you were about to type a word but your brain has shut down, unable to think clearly when all you could remember was the history you weren't even aware of, the history that no one knew about. you dropped your hands to your lap, throwing your head back as you groaned in annoyance at how occupied your mind was.

     you still had homework to do! thinking about that should be your problem later on, not now. 

     turning back to face the screen with determined e/c hues, you turn the gears inside your head to search for what you needed for your homework. after getting an idea, you typed the word on the search bar about to press enter, but you bit your lip and deleted the word. you weren't going to get an answer with that.

     "damn it!" you cursed silently to the air. you dropped your pen and pushed the laptop away for a bit, closing your eyes to rest your brain for a few seconds. "my gosh, i can't believe that's what really happened a hundred years ago." you muttered to yourself after settling comfortably in the silence.

     mermaids and their memory-erasing powers. that's pretty cool, actually.

     you licked the bottom of your lip and pulled the laptop back to you before typing out a few words in the search bar before pressing the enter key. you waited for the page to load, watching the blue circle around the letter 'g' in anticipation. you exhaled sharply once the page loaded and you clicked the first article that came up.

     "i'm trusting you on this, wikipedia." you mumbled to yourself with determination before reading the first few sentences of the wikipedia article. 

     "mermaids appear in the folklore of many cultures worldwide," you read, your eyes scanning the words carefully just in case something perfectly made sense with armin's history. after reading for a few more seconds, you let out a groan and closed the tab in frustration, not getting an answer to your questions. 

     every article or theory you've read doesn't make sense! heck, it didn't even match with what armin said. what if it's really the truth? what if they really had their memories erased? you thought, biting your lip as you glared at the open tab showing a picture of a mermaid.