Discordant Concerts

"Lydia!" It was Batty's voice. I left Jack's hug and looked down the street. Batty was speed-walking down the sidewalk. She tackled me in a tight embrace. "How is Skye? What are you doing out here? Are you okay?" She looked me over carefully, but she was smiling. 

"I'm fine. I'm just worried about Skye."

"Me too." We walked towards the hospital, Jack a few paces behind us. Batty looked at me slyly. "So, you and Jack, huh? I figured it would happen soon." She grinned and nudged me. My face turned red, and I looked down at the sidewalk. 

"Where's Jeffery?" I asked, desperate to turn the attention away from myself.

"Parking the car. Have you guys kissed?"

"Me and Jeffery?" I looked at her like she was crazy.

"No, silly!" Batty laughed. "You and Jack!" I looked away. "Nice! When?"

"Batty! Skye just gave birth a month early, and you're concerned about my love life!"

"So you admit that you're in love."

"Batty!"

"Sorry. How is Skye, but the way?"

"Good." We had reached the hospital and walked inside. Alice tackled me in a hug, nearly toppling me over. 

"Lyds! You didn't tell me they were-!" I cut her off. Batty didn't know yet, and I planned to keep it that way, at least until Skye and Dusek told her. Batty brushed past me, and walked up the stairs, in the direction of Skye's room. Daddy must have given her the room number. Jack had walked in behind Batty and I, and I moved further into the lobby to give him a little more space. The lobby was big, but Alice and I were standing right in front of the doors. "Batty's gone, right?"

"Yep. And yes, triplets. Crap. Jack, forget I said anything."

"Said what?" Jack smiled.

"Exactly." I kissed his cheek.

"Ewww! Get a room you two!" Alice said, giggling. I rolled my eyes at her, but laughed all the same. "Oh, Lyds, I forgot to tell you, the nurse brought the babies back a little bit ago."

"What?!? Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

"I said, I forgot! They're still up there I think." Alice says.  I rush upstairs, and quietly open the door. Batty was sitting in a chair, a baby in her arms, Mom was holding a second, and Rosy, who must have returned while I was gone, was holding the third. Skye was asleep in her bed, and Dusek was napping in a chair. The babies are all asleep, and silent.

"Hi, Mom. Which one do you have?" I asked, tiptoeing over.

"Isabelle, I think."

"No, I have Isabelle. You have Eleanor, Iantha." Rosy said. "Do you want to hold her, Lyds?"

"Yes!" I whisper-shout. Rosalind hands me Isabelle, and I cradle her gently. Across the room, the baby Batty is holding wakes up and starts to cry. Batty rocks the baby, but the wailing continues. Dusek wakes up and takes his wailing daughter in his arms. The crying quiets. Skye stirs, and I walk to her bedside, gently bouncing Isabelle. Skye opens her eyes and reaches out for her daughter. I deposit the baby into her arms. Skye cradles her daughter, smiling tiredly. I never, in my life, would think that Skye Magee Penderwick would ever hold a baby and smile at the same time, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. Dusek walks over, still cradling Alayna in his arms. 

"Would you like to hold her?"

"Yes, please. Are they healthy?"

"The doctors said that they will be taking the babies away temporarily again, in about five minutes, but that they have never seen premature babies this healthy. They are small but strong. They got it from their mother." Dusek looks down proudly at his wife. He was right. The babies were small, but they looked just fine to me. Then again, I wasn't a doctor. Alayna woke up, but stayed silent, looking up at me sleepily. I smiled at her. She had Dusek's brown eyes. I cradled her, to try to get her to go back to sleep. Jane walked in the room and reached out her arms for Alayna.

"May I please hold her?" Jane asked. I carefully handed the baby to her, and as soon as Alayna was settled in Jane's arms, Alayna started to cry. Loudly. Soon, Eleanor and Isabelle were awake as well, and joined in their sister's discordant concert. Skye, Iantha, and Batty, who was now holding Alayna, worked to quiet the babies. Eleanor was the last to quiet down and sleep. By the time all three were silently napping again, a nurse walked in, a bassinet being pushed in front of her. Chatting away, happily yet quietly, the nurse collected the triplets.

"They will be back in the morning. It's getting late, and we want them to be under watchful eyes overnight." The nurse said as she pushed the babies out of the room.

^^^^^^^^^^

Authors Note

Yay! The babies are healthy. I know that I wrote it that way, but I'm still happy. I also feel like the last few chapters have been very eventful, so the next chapter is probably going to be less exciting.

Comment, vote, and tell me what you think,

Lots of love

Sammie K