Chapter Three

"So let me get this straight," I asked Brambleclaw. "You had some dream about a cat from this StarClan or whatever you called it, and they told you what?" Me and Brambleclaw, the new leader of this group named ThunderClan, were discussing some distant dream he had a moon or so ago. Apparently, by the way he acted, it was pretty important. There were three other clans in the forest: ShadowClan, WindClan, and StreamClan, or something to that effect. They all hunted in their own territory. Kittens and older cats were cared for by their warriors and the apprentices. They were all healed by the Clan healer, or the medicine cat, which also sometimes had an apprentice. There was a fifth and special Clan called StarClan, where all the dead cats go, and on occasions like this, give out mysterious prophecies. The warrior code told of all this and more, which helped all the cats of the Clans be loyal and fair. Battles were fought over food and shelter, and the only time they met in peace was at the full moon, on the gathering island. Brambleclaw said the Clans once lived in another forest, but he wasn't going to explain that to me right now. What he was going to explain to me was that there was just a Great Battle, where the Clans, including dead Clan members, who somehow battled against real flesh-and-bone cats, fought against the Dark Forest, where the bad cats go. They had somehow managed to train cats in their own dreams and tried to make them turn against their own Clans. I had arrived through the tunnel into the camp, the heart of ThunderClan, just as it ended by the great leader Firestar killing the evil Tigerstar. Firestar, sad as it was, was killed by lightning, after his Clan name, ThunderClan.

Or something like that.

Even though I didn't really think of all this "important", Brambleclaw insisted I knew it was, or else the Clan would not accept me.

Right now, I was in the leaders' den discussing the prophecy Brambleclaw received. "On this occasion, I had not told Firestar, who was the previous leader of Thunderclan before he died, that I had had a dream. Rarely do non-medicine cats receive dreams or prophecies from StarClan."

I thought about this for a while. "So what was this dream from StarClan about?"

A yowl sounded behind me.

"Sorry I have got to go and help the clan recover. Stay here and rest," Brambleclaw glanced down at my wrapped paw. "And go and see the medicine cat Jayfeather, he is that blue-gray tabby," He pointed with his tail to a blue tabby weaving among the injured cats. Brambleclaw gave me a shrug and pelted away, leaving me alone.

I sighed. "Well, I'd better go and see this medicine cat." I padded into the crowded clearing.

So it turns out that this Healer cat turns out to be blind. It really creeped me outs when I first saw him.

After a long and awkward silence, I slowly meowed, "Umm.. So you are a medicine cat...?" I gulped as his sightless blue eyes studied me.

Jayfeather didn't answer.

I figured I was being accepted, being a non-clan cat and all because the clan still seems to be getting over the death of this 'Firestar' character (these cats seem pretty sensitive to my type). Brambleclaw seemed fairly nice, so I padded over to him. "I'll be leaving now I suppose." I meowed slowly.

"Why don't you stay the night? I don't want you wandering over any other clan borders."

"Why not?"

"ThunderClan is the only clan that will take in rogues or kittypets for a few nights."

"What is a kittypet or a rogue?"

"Go to Jayfeather's den and get some sleep." Brambleclaw seemed like he wouldn't argue. I didn't protest, but I got the creeps when I thought about sleeping in the same room as that medicine cat. But my paws felt like they were going to drop off.