CHAPTER FOUR / the training camp

"Alright, we're moving out!"

You walked with the other second-years over to the building that you were staying at for the remainder of Golden Week. You let out a little sigh as you fanned your face. Although you weren't part of the team, Ukai had no hesitation in putting you through as much hard work as the others. You couldn't say you minded; the looks of enthusiasm and determination on everyone's faces as they followed through with training was enough to keep you going.

Tanaka stretched his arms above his head. "Jeez, I can't wait to crash for the night," he said. "Not to mention, we'll be able to see Kiyoko all day and all night when we get there!"

Nishinoya nodded enthusiastically and the two morons gave each other high-fives. You exchanged a look with the others and heard Hinata shouting from the building. "He's like a little kid," you said with a laugh.

"Almost as bad as those two," Ennoshita agreed as he pointed at Nishinoya and Tanaka. You covered an ear with your hand as the three of them began arguing and walked inside the building.

Hinata let out a "Whoa!" every time he opened a door and peeked inside. You rubbed the back of your head, already getting a faint headache as he did the same for the bathing room and bathroom.

"Chill out a little," Kageyama scolded, as unperturbed as ever.

Hinata whirled around, his eyes sparkling. "I can't help it! I've never done a training camp before!"

Tsukishima walked up to them, glaring at Hinata with his nose turned up. "What's so great about having a bunch of dirty guys in your face all day long?"

You flinched as Tanaka and Nishinoya began yelling at Tsukishima. "Tsukishima, you turd!"

Nishinoya slid in front of Tanaka, the same livid expression on his face. "All air within a quarter mile radius of Kiyoko is sparkling clean!"

You rubbed your forehead with the heel of your palm. "I'm going to go help Mister Takeda with the food," you whispered to Yamaguchi and Sugawara, who nodded and gave you a little wave as you walked down the hall.

Takeda perked up as you opened the door to the kitchen and grabbed an apron from the wall. "Need any help?" you asked, already tying the string around your waist and grabbing a handkerchief to tie your hair back.

"That would be greatly appreciated," he admitted. He pointed over to where Shimizu was busying herself with setting everything onto platters. "We already prepared everything. It just needs to go on those plates."

You gave him a little salute and walked over to Shimizu. "Good evening," you said with a smile as you helped the pretty manager plate everything. You hadn't had the opportunity to really talk to her, so you didn't really know anything about her besides what you heard from the rest of the team. Maybe this could be your chance to make a female friend!

She smiled back at you. "Good evening," she replied in kind. "Are you excited to be here with the rest of the team?"

"Definitely," you said as you spooned the rice onto a plate. You made a little more small talk with her before you asked, "How long have you been a manager?"

Shimizu hummed as she paused in her movements. "I joined along with Daichi, Sugawara, and Asahi when we were first-years." She gave you a tiny smile, but even that small motion made her eyes twinkle a little. "It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made, even though it took a while for me to really get to know them."

"What did you do before you signed up?" you asked as you balanced a few plates on your arms and made your way over to the tables. Shimizu followed after you with a similar set-up, and the two of you stood on opposite ends of the tables as you placed the dishes down.