CHAPTER TWENTY NINE / the practice match

About a week after your sleepover with Tanaka and Nishinoya, you were back in your room, flipping through a book you'd gotten to occupy yourself with while music blasted from your headphones at full volume. The weather was muggy outside, barely any relief from wind or clouds, and to be honest you'd rather be inside right now.

Still, that didn't stop you from glancing at your phone when it buzzed on your desk.

yachi: Heyyy! Are you busy right now?

me: not with anything important lol. what's up?

yachi: Well, I'm with Kiyoko and Michimiya right now, and apparently the third-years in the volleyball club want to have a three-on-three since practice was short today

me: if that's an invitation, then hell yeah i'm in!

me: waaaait...who else is joining us? wouldn't it only be me and michimiya?

yachi: Nope! Apparently Kiyoko wants to try it out as well!

me: THAT'S HOT I'LL BE RIGHT OVER

You hopped out of your chair and grabbed a pair of athletic shorts and your favorite t-shirt. You looked down at your arms as you changed and hummed, remembering what Yachi had said about the faint scars from so long ago. It had been a while since you'd been able to look at them and not immediately go back to the atrocity that was your first-year, but the change was welcome. A smile came across your face and you hurried in your movements.

"Dad, I'm heading over to Karasuno!"

He looked up from the couch, a fan blasting cold air into his face from the table. "Aren't you on break?" he asked.

"The third-years on the team wanted to have a quick match since practice was short," you explained as you pulled your shoes on and used the wall to stretch a little. "I'll probably be back in a few hours, and we can go visit Mom when I come home."

Your eyes were on your feet, so you didn't catch the way your dad flinched at the mention of your mom. "Y-Yeah, sounds like a plan," he said. "Have fun and be safe. It's hot outside so make sure you drink water too!"

You laughed. "Dad, I know to hydrate. Bye, love you!"

About ten minutes later, you set your bike against the outside of the gym and skipped up the steps into the building. Sawamura was talking with Michimiya and Sugawara while Asahi helped Kiyoko and Yachi bring up the net. The first-year was the first to notice you, and she grinned. "She's here, you guys!"

Michimiya ran over to you and grabbed your hands excitedly. "I'm so pumped to play with you again in a proper match!" she exclaimed. "Man, it's been ages since I've seen you in action. I can't wait!"

You laughed and squeezed her hands. "Miya, it's only been a week or two." Something crossed your mind and you frowned. "Are Aihara and Sasaki not joining us?"

"They're studying for entrance exams," Michimiya explained. She pouted and let go of your hands. "I really wanted them to join us as well..."

Sawamura laughed. "At least Shimizu was more than happy to fill in for you guys!"

You perked up and turned to Kiyoko. "What position are you going to play?" you asked as you pumped your fists, unable to contain your excitement.

Kiyoko gave you a cheeky smile. "I'll play middle blocker. Since we don't have a setter, it should be good practice for you, yeah?" When you nodded, she turned to the others. "Let's get started then! Hitoka, please keep the score."