Chapter 1

"You're serious?"

"Of course, I'm serious! Why would I lie to you about that! You've been asking me for months!"

"So... I really can go outside?"

"Yes. But not alone, Elessy. You're going with me, Cole, Nikky and some other adults."

"What?! I'm old enough! I can watch myself!"

"Enough!" he yelled. "You're going with your brothers and me or you're not going at all. That's it. It's too dangerous. We can't let someone go alone. I'm sorry, but that's the rules.

She looked at the roof and responded.

"Fine..."

"Good. Go get ready. We leave tomorrow morning."

The young girl sighted but did not add anything.

It had been years since the last time she had been allowed to go outside and walk in sunlight. Her brothers went a few times, but not her. Since they are where they are, the adults insisted on the fact that only teenagers of seventeen years old would be allowed to leave the shelter. Supposedly because nothing was still able to live in that kind of environment. She was seventeen now. That's why she was allowed.

She was only five years old when everything happened. She couldn't remember because she was too young, but her brothers and parents told her.

"I was thirteen by the time. Nikky was nine. Nobody was expecting that. I mean, nobody thought that would go that far." Cole explained to her. "The virus started to propagate in China. It was worse than the flu. A lot of people thought that it was a virus that China had invented to send to the United States. There was a lot of theories, some crazier and odder than the others. It was an international crisis. Thousands of people died. Young and old people alike. Sadly, we never found the vaccine. That's why we're here. Underground. The virus could still be running outside, and we don't even know."

"We had to adapt our lives. We moved here. At least, we're safe here. That's why we avoid going back to the surface. Because we don't know what could happen if we start to live on the surface again. Would a new pandemic start? We couldn't live that again." Nikky told her too.

Elessy already knew these things. Her brothers hadn't told her something new. She had learned that in class.

Three years had passed since Cole and Nikky clarified all this with her. But now, she was more excited than ever. She was going outside! She was going to feel the sun on her cheeks again! Elessy couldn't stop smiling. She was slowly walking to reach her house. The sister was able to see her oldest sibling through the window speaking with someone she didn't know.

"... Work with you. I'm grateful. Thank you so much."

"It's nothing. I'm happy to share my knowledge with someone. That means my knowledge of medicine, surgeries and pills won't die with me."

"Yeah... You say it's nothing, but for me, it means a lot. I always wished to be a doctor." Answered Cole.

"Great... See you Friday, then! Goodbye, Cole." Greeted the woman.

"See you Friday, Mrs. Phillips."

Elessy was opening the door when the old woman sank into her.

"Oh... I'm so sorry. My apologizes."

"Don't be sorry, Miss Clarke. It was my fault." Simply said the doctor.

Elessy helped her to stand up, her brother looking intensely at her. She apologized again and the woman was gone.