o n e

Heer stood her back facing the huge grey building standing in the busy Delhi street, the sun was shining down on her skin giving it the glow of an angle. She had just been fired by her boss and she wasn't surprised at his decision. She had this long coming for herself, she had been coming late to work for the past one month even after repeated warnings and requests she couldn't make it to her work on time. Truth be told, her boss had actually been quite lenient to having let her work this long while she constantly broke the protocol of her firm. Heer had tried really hard every morning to come to work earlier but it seemed more and more impossible with all the work at home and her part time job at the restaurant every night. She would often wake up later than she would plan, her alarm having no effect on her tired body and then finishing the household work would ultimately result in her getting late every day and having no help didn't help either. Heer has always been a hardworking woman, she works two jobs a day, one full time and another part time, late night shifts to support her out of work boyfriend Dhruv.

Heer wasn't much worried about losing her job because she knew she was qualified enough to get another one soon enough, in fact, she had been working well below her qualification in the firm, her major in business could land her a much better job than a mere copy girl that she had been appointed as, but she had only stayed here because the job paid her well and it was easier to balance the other job with not much pressure on her and the work timing being very less compared to what she would need to offer in some other position.

Sighing deeply and fishing out her cell phone from her bag, Heer booked a cab and made her way to the grocery store nearest to her house, knowing that her refrigerator at home was practically empty. She had asked Dhruv to go grocery shopping for a week now but he had ignored her completely. Heer now found her thoughts wandering to Dhruv, her boyfriend of 7 long years.

Heer Bakshi and Dhruv Saran had been high school sweethearts, Dhruv had been the star of the football team and Heer was a nerd, lost in her piles of books be it in her classroom or in the library until she met Dhruv. She never knew what was in her that had caught Dhruv's eyes but she was glad that he had noticed her, and after a month of courtship they had gotten into a serious relationship. They had gone to the same college as well, he was selected due to his amazing performance in sports, bringing in tonnes of championship trophies for his school and then his college and she had chosen business as her major, which she was instantly selected for owing to her high scores. College life had passed away quickly, studying, partying and everything college life was supposed to be.

After college, Dhruv had moved to Delhi for his job while Heer worked an internship at a firm back in her home in Mumbai. Their long-distance relationship has had a little rough patch until one year later when Dhruv finally asked her to move in with him which she had accepted quickly. Their life here was no less than perfect, one that people see in the movie until Dhruv lost his job a few months back due to the heavy recession in the county.

Dhruv now was a changed man, he was hardly interested in looking for a job, he would spend his day lazing around the house and watch TV the entire day and Heer was certain he had a drinking problem too, always being spotted with either a glass or a bottle in hand depending on the time of the day. He didn't participate in any of the household work either and all the burden feel on Heer. Heer never complained but she was getting tired. She was also under a financial burden to keep both of them afloat which resulted in her working two jobs.

Heer was browsing through the grocery section of the store when she remembered the date. It was the 15th of April, it was exactly a year since she had moved in with Dhruv, she felt excited reminiscing the day Dhruv had asked her to move in and thought of celebrating the it with him because why not? It was no less than an anniversary or any special occasion. She quickly grabbed the things on her list that she needed and headed over to the pastry section to grab themselves a cake. As soon as she was done, she paid her bill and hurried home which was only 5 minutes walking distance from the store.