f o u r

Heer

I walked inside the large spacious room, shutting the door glass door behind me. I saw two individuals, a man in his mid-twenties and a woman who was much elder to him sitting at the table where I was to be interviewed. They were engrossed in some paperwork to notice that I was already there. Not wanting to invade their privacy, I quickly let out a loud and clear "Good afternoon."

Both of their eyes shot in my direction, a nervous smile played on my lips, the younger man once taking notice of what happened, not showing any sign of interest went back to his work. The elderly woman looked at me and smile warmly, motioning me to take the seat that sat in front of them. I strode over to the leather chair and took my seat, waiting for her to begin.

"Get comfortable, we'll begin in a minute." she said before flashing me another of her warm smiles and returning to the work at hand.

Trying to ease my nervousness, I began to look around taking in my surrounding. The room was bigger than I had though when I had first entered, It was furnished minimally, two potted plant stood on two corners of the room, adorning the large glass window and a computer on one end which gave me the idea that this room was not used on a daily basis, perhaps only for interviews like this, that would explain the minimal interior and furniture present in the room. My eyes then gazed at the man who was now busy typing on his phone, I felt a little annoyed that even having finished his work he made no effort to acknowledge my presence but would rather chat on his phone. I immediately felt guilty for judging him so quick and at my thoughts because of course he had the liberty to do whatever the hell he wanted and I was no one to think otherwise. I noticed that he had brown wavy hair and a light stubble.

"So, shall we begin now?" The elderly lady asking catching me off guard, I quickly tore my gaze from the handsome uninviting man to see her smirking at me obviously having caught me staring at her associate. Feeling embarrassed and flushed, wanting to sink in the chair I nodded vigorously at her.

"Hi I am Marla D'Costa, the present assistant, whose job you are applying for and this is Ayush Raichand, the owner of the company." she said extending her arm asking for my resume.

"Hello, I am Heer Bakshi." I said giving her the blue file that I had been carrying with myself, so nervously that I was nearly going to knock the glass of water on the table but having caught my balance at the right time I didn't embarrass myself any further.

Marla was probably in her late forties, with a few wrinkles on her face and on the edge of her eyes, she wore light makeup and her lips were painted dark red. She looked super professional yet she was welcoming and comforting, one could immediately feel the warm vibes off her once they enter the same room as her. Tuning my head, I saw Ayush Raichand's eyes on me as if scrutinizing me making me more nervous, but now I could see that he had deep caramel eyes that could make any girl go weak on their knees and his features were sharp. On having caught me staring at a smirk appeared on his face. I quickly turned my face and stared at the floor for them to continue.

Marla had said that he is the owner, and that meant I would be working for him. I thought to myself and a smile crept on my face.

"You were working in Delhi, what makes you come here?" Marla asked.

"Personal reasons." I stated flatly not wanting to elucidate.

"How did you find out about the position?" Marla asked probably out of curiosity.

"My friend Garima, she works in the marketing department." I told them and Marla seemed impressed whereas Mr. Raichand was least bothered to listen as he was again busy chatting away on his phone.

"And why should we hire you Miss Bakshi?" She asked in a serious tone.

"Because I have a lot to offer to this company and I think I am qualified and dignified enough for the position. Also, I am willing to work under any condition for as long as needed to give the best results, and I learn fast." I said beaming with confidence but Marla and Ayush, who was now looking at me from his phone didn't seem affected, probably having heard the same for the hundreds of applicants.

"You can go now; we will email you to let you know of our decision." Marla said handing over the blue file. I rose from my seat mentally cursing myself for giving such a generic answer pretty sure that I was not going to get the job.

I was welcomed home by my mom, she had been excited about my interview and had not lost hope when I told her how average my interview had actually gone.

"Don't lose hope darling." she told me sitting me down and serving me lunch. I pushed the place aside because I was in no mood to eat. "I have already eaten." I lied. She didn't seem convinced but didn't press me on the topic either. She switched on the TV and played 'Coco' my favourite Disney movie of all time, I could say no to anything in this world but I couldn't say no to this movie.

We were engrossed in the movie when I heard my phone buzz, but I didn't seem to be able to find my phone until I realised that I had been sitting on it the entire time. Shifting from my present position I took my phone and checked the notification on it. I have received one new mail. My mind quickly raced to the events of earlier that day and I got excited at the realisation that it could be an email from Raichand Group of Industries. I quickly unlocked my phone and headed to my Gmail. My breath hitched as I saw that I had indeed received an email from them.

"Mum, the have sent me an email." I said unable to contain my excitement.

"Open it." she said reflecting the same enthusiasm as mine.

I opened the mail and began reading out loud. " Miss Heer Bakshi, this is to inform you that you have been hired for the position of the CEO's personal assistant. You begin from the earliest that is, tomorrow. Also, check in with Marla for your contract and other details. Good luck."

Unknown

I had come to office early today to prepare for a huge business meeting with potential clients, I was double checking the paperwork when a reminder flashed on my phone screen. "Impromptu Farewell for Marla." the reminded read. I kept my phone aside and continued with my paperwork. After completion, I made some calls needed to arrange this 'impromptu farewell'.

Marla had been working with dad for more than 20 years. Having losing dad, and now Marla, who was a reflection of him at work, leaving didn't seem to go down well with me. Two weeks of hunting for her replacement didn't make it any better either because apparently none was like her. She had been moulded and groomed in the business sphere by my dad himself and no one could compete with him thus none could compete with Marla either. Several times I had requested her to stay but she wouldn't because her son and grandson were moving to Goa and had invited her to move in with them, an offer that she took.

Yesterday, I had taken a leave from office because I had to attend my girlfriend's birthday party. Well I don't really do all this cringe things because none of my girlfriend last for more than a week but the present situation is a little different, I have kept Raima around for a month now. Could this be love? NO, I didn't have time for love. But going to the party had apparently done me no good cause I ended up being bored and also, got into a small fight with Raima. Anyway, my dickhead of a brother Ayush and Marla had taken this golden opportunity of my absence to hire some unqualified stupid girl for the job and the audacity they had to not even consult me once.

Anger filled me more at the thought of losing Marla than them hiring some random girl. I was pacing around my room when I heard a knock. Who could have come this early I though annoyed?

"Come in." I ordered the person on the other end ready to take my anger out on them for whatever silly reason they had decided to disturb me this early in the morning. I swear my office was filled with imbeciles and it took a lot of patience to deal with them, but I was not going to do that right now.

I saw the door open and a nervous figure enter.