Chapter 4

SEPTEMBER 30,1960

On this day, some of the pre-independence programs took place. They included: special Muslim services across the country, foundation stone of independence building laid at King's college road and state banquet at Federal Palace hotel, Victoria island. The special guest of Honor and representative of the Queen of England for the Nigerian independence ceremony, Princess Alexandra, joined Prime minister of the federation of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, and the Emir of Kano at Lagos race course in the evening, for a searchlight tattoo preceding the midnight independence.

SEPTEMBER 29,1960

The Governor of Western Nigeria, Sir Adesoji Aderemi, on this day recognized chief A.M.F Agbaje (M.H.A Barrister - at - law. The first Ibadan indigene to qualify as a lawyer. Born January, 1920. Educated at Ibadan Grammar school; King's college, Lagos; Trinity college, Dublin; Middle Temple, London; called to bar in January 1945. Admitted member of midland circuit and practiced in Birmingham in October, 1945. Member of the western house of assembly,1956) who was the chairman of the Ibadan district council as the Osi Are of Ibadan, and this allowed the new chief become a member of the western Region's House of Obas and chiefs.

Sir Titus Martins Adesoji Tadeniawo Aderemi 1, alias Adesoji Aderemi, KCMG (15 November 1889- 7 July 1980) was a Nigerian political figure and Yoruba traditional ruler as the Ooni (king) of Ife (or Ile-Ife as it popularly known) from 1930 until 1980. He also served as President of the western House of chiefs and the legislative council of Nigeria. He served as the Governor of Western Region, Nigeria between 1960 and 1967.

During the colonial era, the Oba Ooni gained a considerable amount of power due to the colonial policy of indirect rule and being labelled a first class Oba among traditional rulers in Yorubaland. The policy of indirect rule was used to ensure native awareness and consultations about colonial policies affecting the regions. The British leaned on existing native political structures and hierarchy, particularly the Nigerian traditional rulers, for political consultations and tax collection. Later on, the Ooni with the consent of the leading Yoruba political leaders used his power to remove the premier of the region.

Also on that day, Igbo elements resident in Tiv division of Northern Nigeria petitioned the senior district officer of the area to help them obtain compensation for the damage they suffered during riots in the division.

And finally, the Northern people's congress (NPC), Federal territory secretariat opened in Lagos.