Chapter 1

OCTOBER 1ST,1960

It was the eve of October 1,1960; the day that the united Kingdom had set aside to grant Nigeria independence as a sovereign state. The political and social atmosphere was astir. The reasons were not far-fetched given the dreams of the founding Fathers- late Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, late Sir Ahmadu Bello and late Chief Obafemi Awolowo among others as well as the prospects of self-rule portended for the emerging black nation.

Although, the then three regions - Northern, Eastern and Western had been administered by Nigerians, who superintended as premiers for six years. Nigeria could not wait to collect the mantle of leadership, at the center, from the last British Governor-General of Nigeria, Sir James Robertson.

It was thus not surprising that elaborate preparations were made across the country, for the historic occasion. There was joy and anxiety as ululating Nigerians stormed the Tafawa Balewa Square (TBS) in Lagos to witness and partake in the celebration of the independence of Nigeria on Saturday, October 1,1960.

In the jubilant crowd were students, cultural dancers, acrobats, masquerades and others who were all eager to add color to the celebration. Policemen, in choreographed manner, fanned out in different but key places across the square to provide security.

With memory-etching displays from the various groups and fireworks that lit up the sky, it was a wonderful sight to behold. The independence parties were not limited to the then capital city of Lagos in the Western region. Other parts or regions of the country also organized events to usher in independence, but that of Lagos was the biggest. Then, only very few Nigerians had television sets. So, to be part of the celebrations, many people headed for the Tafawa Balewa Square in Lagos and the regional capitals.

According to Oldnaija, an online magazine, the celebration at the TBS kicked-off with the foundation-setting speech of the first Prime Minister of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, in which he expressed his joy and happiness for the newly liberated nation and her people.