Chapter 3

After Balewa's speech, the national anthem was sung and the Nigerian flag designed by Taiwo Akinwumi in 1959, was hoisted to replace the British union jack. Also, Jaja wachukwu-Nigeria's first indigenous speaker received Nigeria's instrument of freedom (also called Freedom Charter) from Princess Alexandra of kent - a member of the British royal family who represented Queen Elizabeth at the ceremony.

In the Evening, the sky above the Tafawa Balewa square was animated with colorful display of fireworks and shouts of happy independence. Dance troupes and masquerades of different Nigerian ethnic groups displayed their dancing prowess and thrilled the audience with acrobatic displays.

A State banquet was also held where dignitaries from Nigeria and other countries mingled, winced and danced.

THE AMAZING JOURNEY TO 1ST OCTOBER 1960

Nigerians had great expectations in 1960 and that was why three years later, when an attempt was made to sign an Anglo-Nigerian Defense Agreement, the people rebelled. They wanted Nigeria to be truly free, and not to be tied in anyway whatsoever to the apron strings of the British empire.

Nigerian history is full of reports of resistance to British colonial domination from the 19th century exploits of the likes of Ovonramwen Nogbaisi to King Jaja of Opobo, to the king Kosoko of Lagos, all through the early 20th century with the protests over water tax in Lagos led by Oba Eshugbayi Eleko (1908), the nationalist press in Lagos, Aba women's riots (1929), Abeokuta women's riot (1946), the Enugu coal miners' strike (1949), the cultural protests by the likes Hubert Ogunde, the nationalism of Herbert Macualay and others including labour union leader Micheal Imoudu, all leading to the various conferences, 1953 - 1957. Independence in Nigeria was a product of struggle, no doubt. October 1,1960 was therefore a tribute to the efforts of the then living contemporaries as it was to the valor of heroes past.

Let's now delve into the days in September preceding the Dawn of the new Heritage.