7- Mundie in the Institute

Ethan sucked in a large breath, then walked towards Hodge.

"So, lets get him! Where is he?"

Hodge chuckled and Ethan glared at him.

"I'm not seeing how this is funny!" he exclaimed.

Hodge looked slightly taken aback by Ethan's quickly ignited fury. However, less than a minute later, he composed himself.

"I like your enthusiasm, boy, but its not that simple. You see, before about an hour ago, I didn't even know Valentine was alive. However, since your arrival to the Institute, I have seen enough evidence to point towards his return"

Ethan scoffed then. "So, really, you don't know that he took her. You're just guessing really"

Hodge leaned forward on his desk. " I'm almost certain that it was him."

Ethan narrowed his eyes at Hodge. "What makes you think so?"

"Because he had a very particular connection with Jocelyn. She was his wife"

Ethan jerked suddenly, then stumbled back away from Hodge's desk. Alec caught him by the arms before he fell and held him up whilst he recovered from the shock.

"I'm assuming that you didn't know..." Alec whispered, sympathy lacing his voice. 

Ethan shook his head. He had recovered now, but he didn't move away from Alec's grasp, and Alec didn't let go either. Wrapped in Alec's arms, Ethan felt safe, as if he would always be there to protect him. 

When he finally found his voice again, Ethan said "So... did they get a divorce? Or did my mom think that he was dead all these years?"

Hodge shook his head. "I'm afraid I can't tell you whether Jocelyn knew he was alive or not. I can tell you, however, that Shadowhunters don't get divorced in the same way that mundanes do. Instead their marriage rune, which is drawn during Shadowhunter weddings, is removed. No paperwork, and a lot less time consuming"

Ethan nodded in understanding. "I get that, I just don't understand why she never told us"

Hodge considered this for a moment. "I reckon that your mother only wanted to protect you. Jocelyn Fairchild was one of the best Shadowhunters amongst us, and if she didn't feel the need for you to know what you are, then she probably made that decision with the best of intentions"

Ethan froze, and Alec rubbed his shoulders to try to comfort him. Neither boy was sure why, but neither boy wanted it to stop, either.

Ethan, after a moment, scoffed. "So," he said bitterly, "Mom even lied about our family name. Is there anything she told us that was true?"

Hodge shook his head in pity. "I'm afraid I don't know. However, I do know that Clarissa has gone to check on the house, so maybe talk through with her when she gets back and see what you know between the both of you"

Ethan, at that point, stepped out of Alec's embrace and stared at Hodge, breathing heavily. 

"Uh,oh..." Alec muttered under his breath.

" WHAT. THE.HELL IS SHE DOING THERE??? AND WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY WAKE ME UP TO TELL ME??"

Hodge, again, look startled. He never knew a Shadowhunter to have such a fire-y attitude to him. Then again, Ethan wasn't a full fledged Shadowhunter.

"She's with Jace, so she will be safe. Jace will bring her back in one piece"

Then it was Alec's turn to shout.

"JACE WENT?? WITHOUT PERMISSION FROM THE CLAVE??? THERE WAS A FRIGGING DEMON ATTACK THERE!!"

Ethan cut in after Alec had finished. "AND... CLARY HAS NO TRAINING! HOW CAN YOU EXPECT HER TO BE CAREFUL THERE??? SHE'S RECKLESS AND- AND-"