Ditched

Gumball's POV

"Ding Dong"

"Hello, who's there?" Fionna's voice hollered out.

"It's me, Prince Gumball," I yelled back in reply, clutching onto the hems of my cardigan for warmth as the cold evening wind sent goosebumps down my skin.

A few seconds later, Fionna's beaming face appeared at the doorway and she beckoned me in, "What took you so long?" she demanded jokingly, "Marshall's been here ages ago!"

My heart jolted at the sound of his name. For some reason, lately, my heart has been doing that alot whenever something associated with Marshall pops up. My cheeks flared at that thought and I pushed it outside as warm glittering colors came into view.

"Don't judge me," Fionna said, wrinkling her nose, "It was all Cake's idea. She picked up an old book in the library and found out about the Easter bunny and she became obsessed with it. One thing after another happened and here we are with an actual Easter-themed sleepover. Who ever heard of that? She even wants me in an Easter bunny onesie. How ridiculous!"

I laughed softly at her ranting, even though I wasn't remotely amused. Instead, I was looking around trying to find the real reason I was here.

"Where's Marshall?" I asked, after finally given up looking for him.

I turned around to Fionna, expecting a reply and was surprised to see a smile on her face that morphed into a scowl as she heard my question.

"Once again, Cake got what she wanted. She insisted that I bring Marshall along even though I only wanted it to be the three of us."

Should I be flattered by this? I tapped my fingers on the wall annoyedly, as she continued to yamper on without realizing that she still hadn't answered my question.

"I told her that nooo, there would be way too many people. But she said that that would be too awkward if you wanted to make a move on..." she slowly stopped talking after realizing what she had disclosed, her face turning a shade of beet red.

She stuttered hopelessly before being saved from the embarrassment as Marshall went into the room.

"Hey Fionna? Cake asks if Bubba's here yet or if it was just a random person at the door. You took a pretty long time so," he said while his eyes were glued to something in the other room, his hands frantically pressing on a game controller.

Fionna huffed and crossed her arms in silence.

Marshall finally took his eyes off of the screen and upon noticing me, set down the controller and straightened the sides of his clothes to his skin.

"Hey Bubba, didn't notice you there," he nodded curtly, while changing his voice into a deeper tone.

"I'm doing fine. Thanks for asking! How are you doing yourself?" I replied almost instinctively, as I took in his appearance hungrily. After being cooped up in the lab for so long, I had almost forgotten how stunning Marshall looked. Even as I tried to suppress those thoughts, I couldn't help but notice the muscular outline of his body as his shirt clung or the chiseled features on his face that you would find on a sculpture in a museum. A drop of drool barely formed on the corner of my mouth.

My cheeks flushed as Marshall smirked in pleasure, having noticed me checking him out. Wait, no, not checking him out, acknowledging his formidable appearance.

Fionna, on the other hand, was not as happy. "Guys, enough with the formalities. We're not strangers, you know!," she seethed.

I held in a giggle, surprised that she even knew that word, as Marshall rolled his eyes.

She looked at me, then turned to Marshall, and bellowed, "Can you guys like not, please?"