Artifacts of the Past

Marshall's POV:

"Love...What even is love anyways," I asked randomly while staring out at the setting horizon. Bubba looked over with an eyebrow raised, intrigued by my question.

After a while he said, "I don't know Marshall, I can't answer that for you or it would be loying. Love is something different for everyone and you'll find out one day when you finally meet it."

I grinned at him, wanting to tell him that I had already found it, and I was currently experiencing it. "I really do feel bad for those who live without love," I sighed.

Bubba nodded and squeezed my hand, "I know Marshall. You know, I once felt bad for you too. But then I realized that I shouldn't because you will never have to experience life without love again. Do you know why?"

I smiled softly, shaking my head.

"Because I will love you for as long as I live. You will always be my best friend and a brother to me. I promise."

***

I sat up straight on my bed suddenly, beads of sweat trickling down my forehead as I thought about the dream.

A few days had passed since Marceline's talk and what used to be fear of flashbacks with unhappy memories shifted to happy memories instead.

I think the ghost of the past is haunting me until I just let go and embrace who I am, but I couldn't.

My thoughts wandered off to the dream again, thinking about how Bubba had broken his promise and all the other promises that he had made. How he basically ruined my life with a few words.

After sitting in my bed and thinking about it for a while, I started to realize that maybe Bubba didn't break his promise after all.

The Bubba that I knew had loved me his entire life up until the moment he died on that night, the moment where a part of me also died too, making me become rebellious, spiteful, and angsty.

We no longer acted like naive teens. We were now like adults who have moved on after a high school affair. Except that I have never moved on. Even dating Fionna, I still think about him everyday, waiting for him to change back to his old self and love me again. Because at the end of the day, I'm still Marshall, and he's still Bubba.

I got out of my bed and pulled out the picture of me and Bubba I had left from my coat pocket. Even after all this time, I was still waiting patiently for him to revert back to his kind, caring, playful, and carefree self in contrast to the workaholic I know now. But until then I would be waiting.

I slumped onto the floor defeated, and pulled my guitar closer to me, remembering a song by the celebs JP Saxe and Julia Michaels, and I found myself singing it aloud.

(A/n: I defff recommend playing this song while you read it lol. It's one of my fav songs, and I hope you like it too!)

I was distracted

And in traffic

I didn't feel it

When the earthquake happened

But it really got me thinkin'

Were you out drinkin'?

Were you in the living room

Chillin' watchin' television?

It's been a year now