Getting the Pieces

"Is this some type of joke?" Ichiri stood before Arata. Holding up in her hands, a note of a challenge sent by him. The two of them were standing atop the school roof as per his orders.

"Only a little." He had to admit, it was kind of fun to write it and sneak it into her locker in the morning. "I knew that you couldn't resist a challenge from your rival, so that's why I sent you one."

"So then, what's up?" She asked him, saying it cautiously.

"Well, I don't have a competition, but I think that someone like you might like the idea of this challenge." He began. "I need your help, it has to do with an event planned at the library."

"Library event? I didn't know something was going on over there."

"That's because it hasn't been announced yet." He informed her. "And technically, we need it done by the end of the week."

"Kind of putting me on short notice." She said. "But have no fear, there's nothing that can hold me back. And once people see the great work I've done, they'll have to say I'm the better between the two of us." He looked at her disinterested as she said that. She hadn't even heard of what she was going to, and she was already talking a big game. Plus, no one really compared the two.

"Right..." She was definitely the person for the job, but he wasn't going to like it. "Then what I'm asking of you, is if you can help put on a play? Using the story of a book as a base."

"Ooh, you're asking me to create my own take on a story? Now that's the type of action I'm looking for." While it was fun to be the director of the school play, this was the opportunity she was looking for to really show off her creative skills. "I'll do it." She agreed to his terms. However, as they were finishing up. The door to the roof opened, catching their attention.

"I'm sorry." It was Yurime. However, she looked completely different compared to when he last saw her. "I didn't mean to interrupt this confession." She misunderstood this situation, seeing the paper Ichiri was holding. "I'll just be going elsewhere, and I promise I won't tell anyone about this."

"..." Arata didn't say anything to stop her. There was something wrong with that girl, as they both looked at her leave them. "What's happened to her?" He asked.

"You haven't seen her since that day, have you?" Ichiri responded. "When she resigned from the news club, she hasn't been the same ever since." That girl had been eating lunch alone on the roof, she was mess, as if she was dead on the inside. "Serves her right after what she did to you."

"I... Don't think she deserves that." Was that really from what happened between him and her? But, he didn't even hold a grudge against her. Why was she punishing herself so hard?

"You're too soft. That's why someone like me is better than you." He could've lived without the bragging from her, but maybe she was right. Even then, seeing the way the news club had turned out in Yurime's absence. There was no way he'd just stand by and let that happen.

"Say, I've got a meeting with the news club. Want to join me?"

"What? You got that girl to quit and now you're going to take her job?"

"No, you might not have heard. But I'm this school's new treasurer/secretary. I'm helping them with a request."

"You've become what?! Man, I've really been falling behind lately." Really, he wouldn't consider that something he did over her. Just something that he was lucky enough to be given. "Fine, I'll come with you. Maybe then people might see that they should come to me for help." Wasn't that what he was doing? "Hey! Where are you going?"