A Change in Position

Just another normal day at school, just like any other. Or at least, that's what Arata thought what it was like.

"What's that?" His seatmate and friend, Yogi noticed a charm attached to his bag.

"This? Oh it's just a mascot from an anime." He answered. Ever since he told them about his hobby, Arata wasn't afraid of showing off some of the things he bought with money he made from his jobs. This adorable bear-like creature was featured in a magical girl anime where the main character searched for cards.

"It looks really nice." The compliment was always appreciated. Even if they didn't share the same tastes.

Days like this were nice. Just chatting along during break, he could just forget about his worries and enjoy his friend. Today though, was going to be different.

"Excuse me, but could I talk to you?" A boy walked up to the two. The school treasurer, to be precise. He was directing this question towards Arata. "Alone, I mean."

"Sure." There was no reason for him to say no. This was most probably just like the other time, where he needed someone to fill in. Without protest, he followed the boy out of the room. In the hallway where it was currently empty of any students or faculty.

"I don't really know how to word this." He hesitated. That clued Arata in that this might not be a simple request. "But, do you think that you might be able to take my position as treasurer?"

"Take your position? As in, replace you?" The boy nodded for the answer. "But what's wrong? Why do you want to drop the position?"

"It's not that I want to." The boy clarified. "Sadly, due to circumstances in my life. I'm moving away from here, and that means I won't be able to continue as treasurer." The tone in his voice, made it clear he was saddened by that fact.

"Then I'm guessing you want me, because of the time that I filled in for you?"

"Yes, but it's a little more than that." The statement piqued Arata's interest, which prompted explanation. "While you were filling in, you did something that I thought was really impressive. You stood up to president Jingu." Stood up to? He must've been referring to when he argued for the gardening club's sake. That wasn't really something he thought would be considered a benchmark for ability. Especially given he was biased for a reason.

"Are you sure that's enough?" Arata asked. "I mean, this is a pretty big responsibility. It's not like you should allow just anyone to take this."

"I really think you're the best person for this." The boy stood firm in his position. "Please, it's not as much work as you think. I'm certain it won't get in the way of your everyday life."

"..." Arata sighed. Considering what he went through with everyone as it is. The person in front of him wasn't wrong.

Even then, there were still many looming questions for him. The biggest of which being who exactly kissed him during the fall festival. Other things included actually getting around to solving the mystery of his childhood friend. Along with getting Yuki to not be so apprehensive with him anymore.

"I'll accept." Of course, it's not like he couldn't do all these things at the same time.

"President, I have some news to tell you." After school, the pair went to the student council room. The two girls that took the positions of school president and vice president were sitting idly.

"Really? And from the looks of it, this involves Arata?" Misei looked at them with a blank stare.

"First, I have to inform you that I'll no longer be the school treasurer. Because of things in my life, I'll be moving away." From the look on her face, Arata could tell this was news to her.