Chapter 4

Emma's POV

I am leaning on the wall waiting by Mr Mitchell's room for Regina. I hit my puff a few times before slipping it into my back pocket. The bell rings and soon people leave the class. Regina walks out and stops for a second and smiles. I smile and she looks down. I take the time to check her out a little more. I did during lunch but Ruby quickly stopped me. She's wearing skinny light blue jeans. A black shirt and a off white cardigan. Sandals on her feet. She slips her arm through mine and I smile.

"I didn't think you were going to wait outside my class room." She tells me and I push her in front of me as we go through an oddly small door and outside.

"I just thought why not? I've been out of class for the last 15 minutes and no one comes down that way."

"You were skipping?" She turns around and stop looking at me with wide eyes. I sigh and open her door.

"Emma..."

"Yes I was. But it's the end of the day."

"It doesn't matter. You would've gotten detention if you got caught and our plans would've been ruined today." She says softly and I nod.

"Sorry." She gets into the car and I close the door. I get in and there's a knock on my window. I turn and see Ruby.

"Hey Rubes." I say and she smiles and kisses my cheek.

"I'll be over Sunday."

"You and your parents?"

"Yep. And Granny."

"Well fuck now I can't get out of dinner."

"I'll be there to cheer you up! Bye." I laugh and wave.

"Who's that?" Regina asks and I hit my puff and back up looking back.

"Ruby is my cousin. We'll adoptive but also my best friend. She's awesome." Regina smiles and I look both ways and start pulling onto the road when a car cuts me off and I slam on my break and put my arm in front of Regina protectively. I look at her and then the car in front of me and I see Robin. I roll my window down.

"Watch where you're going asshole!" I yell.

"Fuck you dyke!" He yells back and his friends are laughing as they speed off. I look at Regina.

"You okay?"

"Yeah." I let my hand fall from in front of her and it falls onto her thigh. I leave it there and she doesn't seem to mind.

"You sure?"

"Yeah Robin just should learn to drive. He could kill someone being so reckless and stupid." I nod agreeing with every word she just said. I feel her nail on my hand. And I look over to see her tracing the veins in my hand. I smile.

"Having fun?"

"Sorry. Does it bother you?" She asks cutely and I chuckle.

"Nah you're good." She nods.

"Does my hand there bother you?" I ask and she shakes her head. She doesn't say anything else but she does look super shy all of a sudden. She's adorable. I stop at a red light.

"You okay?" I ask looking at her. She doesn't look at me when she answers.

"Yeah I'm good. I've just.... no one has ever put their hand there."

"Oh." I say awkwardly.

"I kind of like it. You're warm." She says and I blush now.

"Good." I squeeze her leg softly and soon I pull up to Granny's and I park close to it. Most kids come here after school to eat quickly. I get out and then run around getting Regina's door. She smiles and grabs her purse. I close the door and she grabs my hand. I look at our hands and spread my fingers. She intertwines them and I smile. She holds onto my arm with her other hand and then I hold the door open for both of us.