Chapter 1 - An Angel Again

Hiding behind the locked door in my bathroom again trying to cover up my bruises. I can hear Cory's boots as he's pacing down the hallway. 

"Are you done yet? Come on I've got places to be!" He shouted at me. I tried to say something but even the thought of me standing up to him brought tears to my eyes. I gently applied some foundation to my black eye. It hurt but I'm used to the pain. I made sure that the scar on my cheek was well covered up then I unlocked the door. 

"Finally!" Cory said as he walked up to me. He pressed his face to mine and said "Now listen, if you tell anyone about this, you won't live to see tomorrow." His breath smelt of cheap cider, as usual.

My life wasn't always like this, in fact, Cory used to treat me like an angel when we first met, it wasn't until we moved in together that he started treating me this way. He slaps me, he punches me, he insults me and he is always threatening that he'll kill me. But I'm afraid to leave him. I'm afraid that if I do leave him, start a new life somewhere else, he'll find me and he will kill me. I don't want that. I just want to be an angel again.

Cory dragged me out to his car, slamming the front door behind him. He started the car as I struggled to get my seat belt on. The smell of his cheap cologne was burning my nostrils. I attempted to open a window but Cory just closed it again. Cory tuned the radio on only to listen to bad rap music, which for some reason he loved so much. When the car started to move Cory started singing along, he couln't hit a note. Every now and then Cory liked to slam the brakes on just to scare me, he laughed at me as I adjusted my hair, which had fallen in front of my face. 

When we arrived at Target we noticed there was hardly anywhere to park. The car swerved as Cory attempted to turn the corner, he really shouldn't have been driving while he was drunk. He eventually found a parking space after a few minutes of circling the parking lot. 

Cory parked the car and as he stepped of it he looked at me, the look said "Get out of the car now or I hit you again." Trust me, I've seen it so many times. I stepped out of the car and closed the door, being careful not to slam it. 

"Damn, I really need to use the bathroom." Cory said as we walked through the front door. We walked over to the bathrooms and as we did I could see people looking at me with pity, they must know about what Cory does to me. Cory walked through the men's room door, then he turned back. 

"Wait here." he said to me then he turned back around and went in. As I was waiting a man walked up to me. He was incredibly handsome with big, brown, kind eyes, tattoos down his arms and an incredibly welcoming smile. 

"Is anyone in there?" he asked me pointing to the men's bathroom. I nodded and tried to smile. It'd been so long since I had smiled, I guess I had forgotten how. 

"Thanks." He said with a smile. Just then Cory walked out and saw him smile at me. Cory dragged me into the disabled toilets and started to hit me. 

"What did I tell you about talking to other guys?!?" He shouted to me.

"It wasn't like that he was just..." 

"I don't care what he was doing! How dare you talk to another man?!" His voice was getting louder and more aggressive with each word he uttered. He punched me right on my nose, it started to bleed. The pain was unbearable. I reached for some toilet paper to wipe the blood from my face. Cory looked at me with pure hatred as he dragged me out of the bathroom. As we went through the door the man I had been taking to walked out of the men's room. 

"Are you okay?" He asked me 

"Yes." I whispered, obviously lying. 

Cory dragged me back to the car. 

"You wait here, you obviously can't be trusted!" He said to me as he shoved me into the car. As he walked away he locked the door so I couldn't get out. I was so scared of what would happen when we got back home, I feared that this might be the end for me.