Chapter 22

Illumi is not happy to see him, Hisoka instantly realizes. Walking into the hotel room is the first mistake.

"What are you doing here?" Illumi snaps, shutting his sketchbook from where he sits on the couch.

"Sorry?" Hisoka asks softly. "I thought you'd like to see me. We've been so busy recently-"

"I'm still busy," Illumi interrupts, Machi walking into the room to take a spot on the couch, mumbling a hello to Hisoka. Hisoka, however, is focused on Illumi's tense body. Maybe he's stressed about whatever he's working on.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" Hisoka offers, walking over and taking Illumi's hands. The usually clingy man pulls away and takes a few steps back.

"You can leave," he says quickly. The blow that hits Hisoka is worse than being punched. Illumi falters for a moment, like he can see that it hurt Hisoka before biting his lip. "I just need to work, okay, you're a distraction."

Hisoka lifts his chin a little, trying not to act like what Illumi added didn't just make things worse. "Fine." He walks out quickly, his chest hurting. Not as much as when Illumi first rejected him, but a considerable amount. It made it worse that Hisoka had planned to ask Illumi if he wanted to live with him... Hisoka is a fool to think Illumi would want that.

Hisoka looks at his bright yellow car... He is not good enough for Illumi. Illumi would want a black car, a modern house with an indoor pool because he is prestigious like that. Illumi would want a man who didn't have a past like Hisoka, a man who is mentally stronger, a man who knew exactly what to do and when for him. Hisoka just wants to be enough for Illumi, but he knows he never will be.

He angrily tsks and gets into his car, speeding back home. Maybe he and Gon could go out for a bit, just to hang out together... Get his mind off Illumi. Plus, they hadn't hung out together in a while. Hisoka waits outside the apartment in his car, calling Gon.

"Yeah?" Gon answers.

"Come out, let's go do something," Hisoka replies, tapping the steering wheel impatiently with his free hand. He narrows his eyes when the kid hangs up, coming out of the apartment a few moments later, no Killua at his side. Certainly something different for Gon.

"Where are we going?" Gon asks as he slides into the car, Hisoka driving off as soon as he's inside.

"Suggest something," Hisoka responds.

"Bowling?"

Hisoka doesn't question it, driving to the dingy bowling alley. He hadn't been here in a long time... When Hisoka parks the two get out, sharing a knowing smile. Last time they went here together was a good time, despite the run down place. They walk in, getting a lane and slipping on the gross overused bowling shoes.

"Last time I think I won," Gon smirks, picking up a ball.

"Ha, ha," Hisoka snorts, watching as Gon's ball rolls aggressively down the lane. They both knew last time Gon won, only because Hisoka got distracted. It's not fair when a gay man goes bowling and isn't aware he's gay and then a really hot man pulls up his shirt. Hisoka grimaces, remembering the awkward ball throw after being flustered. He can't imagine what would have happened if Illumi were the one pulling up his shirt...

His face flushes again and Gon gives him a curious gaze.

"What're you thinking about?" Gon muses.

"Nothing..." Hisoka walks up and takes his turn. "Where's Killua today?"

"Killua... And I are kinda fighting..."

"How do you 'kinda' fight?"

"Well, we aren't really fighting... I just get really sad when I see him because I know he has to leave..."