Chapter 11

When teachers on the Ark had talked about hiking on Earth, they made it sound fun and exciting.

Elanor, surprisingly, agreed with them.

Many people in the herd of survivors would not agree with her. While she jumped over things and hopped from rock to rock with childish energy, many of the other survivors trudged with little energy. People often complained about how difficult the walk through the forest was. Elanor couldn't blame them. There was nothing like this on the Ark. There, the walkways were smooth and cramped. On Earth, the terrain was uneven and the sky stretched out for miles above their heads.

Out of the corner of her eye, Elanor could see her father watching her intently. Marcus Kane could sense that the other survivors were not filled with as much energy as his 14 year old daughter was. During one stop, he pulled her aside.

"Elanor" he scolded, trying to be stern.

"What?" She asked in response, seemingly oblivious to the issue with her jumping and dashing.

"I appreciate your energy, but there are others who do not" Marcus watched his daughter's face fall. "Save it for another time, or channel it through something else"

"Okay"

Marcus left his daughter and turned back to the group. "We should get moving. We're almost there. I want everyone on high alert"

The group made their way to their feet, continuing slowly into the forest. After about twenty minutes of walking, Marcus stopped the group.

"I hear something up ahead. Jacobs, Holland, you two are with me. Everyone else, stay back"

Marcus and the two guards set off towards the noise. The rest of the group relaxed, putting their stuff down and sitting down. The guards around the outside of the group seemed agitated.

Abby came over to Elanor, who was sitting towards the outside of the group.

"We need to find a source of water" Abby said, sitting down next to Elanor. "There's a couple people in the early stages of dehydration. And food, too. Our rations won't last long"

"I know," Elanor said. "Based off of what the hundred said, there's a stream near their camp. If we can get there, we solve our water problem"

"But we don't know when we'll get to their camp" Abby said. Her voice cracked ever so slightly. The concern and anxiety that had built up over the last few weeks came out in her eyes as they glanced desperately at Elanor. "We don't even know if their alive"

"Hey," Elanor's voice softened, "they're alive and they're out there somewhere"

"We don't know that," Abby said.

A loud crack interrupted their conversation.

"Is that.....?" Elanor asked.

"A gunshot" Abby answered. The guards around the group began corralling inwards and slowly herding the group towards the place where the gunshot had come from. They moved through the forest slowly, the guards all moving to the front of the group.

Moments later, a sharp whistle pierced the air.

"It's the signal!" A guard shouted. The group stepped up into a clearing where a few kids stood, along with a dead grounder and the advance group of guards. Abby dashed towards the kids in the clearing. Elanor was right behind her.

"Sit!" Abby began assessing the two boys.

"I'm fine," the blood covered boy demanded. Elanor recognized him vaguely. "We have to get back to the dropship"