07.

"sweetheart, your coming to the midsummers party tonight right?" her grandma asked

"yeah of course nana, i wouldn't miss it" she said, a smile appearing on her face.

her grandparents were good friends with some kooks on the other side of the island, just like kiaras parents were 

"here's your dress love" she said, handing her the dress on a hanger.

"start getting ready, we're leaving soon." she smiled

"of course" she said, closing the door, slipping on the dress, starting to do her hair and makeup

•••

it had been hours since they got to midsummers, hailee leaving her grandparents to find kiara immediately.

"evening ladies" hailee heard JJ's voice, feeling his arm wrap around her waist as he stood between ki and hailee.

"what the hell are you doing here JJ!" she said, in a whisper so she didn't cause a scene

"i need to find sarah for JB, any idea where she is?" JJ asked, hailee raising her arm to point at her.

"hold on you, before you go! what happened to your face?" she softly grabbed his face, making him flinch.

"my dads fist, gave me a lil smack, i'm fine though" he lied, shrugging

"JJ, please, talk to me." she said, feeling her heart break, knowing his dad did the same thing that hers did to her.

"it's nothing hailee! i said i'm fine!" he almost shouted, making her swallow the lump in her throat.

"i'm sorry for asking" she whispered, knowing she acted the same way only a couple years ago when she had the same experience.

"you look beautiful by the way" he winked, kissing her forehead, walking towards sarah.

"what the hell is going on between JB and sarah?" ki asked, scoffing.

"don't know, but i couldn't care less" she said, her heart hurting, wanting to cry her eyes out.

"oh- i'm sorry hails, i shouldn't have said anything" she said, shutting herself up.

"anyway, what happened to pope?" she said bringing up the previous conversation

"pope got the shit beat out of him by rafe and topper while him and JJ were delivering groceries, so he took the plug out of toppers expensive ass boat and got arrested for it" ki shrugged

"what! are you kidding!" she asked, knowing she wasn't.

"yeah so JJ took the fall, his dad bailed him out and i'm guessing beat the shit outta him" ki said, her voice breaking in sadness at the thought of it.

"i'm seriously making him stay with me from now on, i hate seeing the guys hurt" hailee said, a tear about to fall.

"if i'm being honest, i can't spend more then a day without y'all, shit hits the fan whenever i'm not there" she whined