2

I didn't bother to wake my father up after I finished preparing breakfast for the both of us. I simply ate, prepared myself, and left a few hours earlier before open time.

I decided to stay there at a small cafe just across the street to pass time.

"A latte, please." I ordered.

"You want latte art?" The nice barista asked and I nodded. "Yes please."

I paid my drink and told me that he would bring it to my table when it's finished. I took a seat at a table for two in at the very far corner where there are less chatty people.

I have nothing else to do since I didn't bring anything for entertainment except my phone which I don't feel like using for the meantime.

For a 7'o clock morning, the streets were pretty packed with people who are off to work. Even students who walk with their friends and different uniforms and bags.

I sighed. Ever since I lived in California, I haven't set foot in a school. I was 13. It's been 5 years since I stopped schooling. Even being homeschooled was not given to me either so I always feel envious when people my age already have something to do in life.

"Here's your drink." The nice barista stopped my train of thoughts as he approached me and placed my drink of the rounded table. I thanked him before taking a sip from the latte.

It was a mixture of bitter and sweet  Mostly sweet but it wasn't full on sugar but full on cream. It was the tastiest I've drank since my life went down and it helped me loosen up a bit.

As I drank from my hot coffee, I continue my reminisce of admiring the busy streets until someone caught my eyes. I gagged on my drink and almost threw up everything that was in my mouth if I didn't think of messing up the place and ruining the day of the nice barista.

It was the guy from yesterday. The only customer that night and the guy who left his things except of the cigar.

Remembering those times made me feel pissed off when he literally blew smoke on my face.

He was walking with a hood thrown on his head except that it was grey this time. He was on his phone as he walked slowly.

I thought of approaching him but something tells me that he was going towards the cafe where I was. I took a sip once again and it was almost half empty.

As I said, he entered the coffee and went straight to the counter to whatever. And as he was ordering, he took off his hoodie which showed the plain white shirt he was wearing below it.

I must say, he is fit. But he's also very stupid to wear a large thick hoodie when the sun is blazing on a hot summer morning but okay, I'm not that quick to judge.

I watch as he pay and the same thing what the barista said was the same as what I read from his lips. The guy turned around and as I looked away, was also the same moment when we locked eyes.

Shit. I didn't even plan to socialize with anyone today.

I turned my head away thinking that he would probably best think that he wouldn't bat an eye at me and just move on with his business but he didn't.

"Hey. Coincidence seeing you here." He said and took a sit infront of me before I could even protest. "You always go here?" He asked as he placed the hoodie at the table.

"It's my first time." I told him quietly.

"Ohh, must have seen this from there." He said before pointing at the convenience store I work at across the street which is closed for the time.

He wasn't actually wrong since I've seen this cafe since I first worked there and I always considered going here.

"Yeah." Every word I said showed that I didn't have the motivation to talk to anyone. Although I actually didn't make it obvious that I want my personal space since I kinda appreciate that he acknowledged my existence.

The drink he ordered arrived and I took a quick look to see that he actually ordered an espresso. He took a sip from it and his face squinted from the bitterness.

"I'm sorry for what I did yesterday. It's like an altar ego I have that I accidentally treated you like shit but I was just having a bad day." He apologized. It wasn't really a big deal since I went through worse people.

"It's kinda okay. I've been through worse." I told him as I took a sip from the last of my cup and set it aside.

"That sucks." He said before taking another sip until he finished the whole thing in his second drink. "I'll get a cake. What kind do you like?" He asked and I automatically turned it down.

"Uh, no. It's actually okay." I told him. I had breakfast this morning but I wouldn't say that I was actually full. But I wouldn't make a fool out of myself and let a stranger order me a cake out of apology.

"Oh, come on. Who would say no to cake?" He joked before he stood up. I haven't had the time to protest once again because he was already on his way to the counter.

I could just thank him and treat him back.

He went back and the order was automatically brought to our table. His was a simple chocolate one and mine was a velvet cake. I like velvet that's why I appreciated the offer more.

"Thank you. I'll just treat you some other time as well." I told him before I dig in on my cake.

"Then I'll be looking forward to that." He said with glee and also ate his cake. It was awkward since he was the first who finished it and I could feel him taking glances at me but I refused to look up.

After I finished the cake, I set it aside. Beside the empty cup. "Hey. Actually, you left your things yesterday." I finally brought it up.

"Left what?" He asked as he took out a box of cigar. He didn't lit it up but just placed it on his mouth.

"What you bought yesterday except the box of cigarettes." I said. He took out the cigar from his mouth and played it in his fingers.

"Oh. I actually left it on purpose." He said.

"What?"

"I've been coming to your store ever since I've seen you there and I once saw that you were enjoying the same thing tht I bought." He explained. "You look pale and very tired so I figured that you'll eat it."

I was shocked. All this time, I thought that he left it accidentally since I asked him to leave but instead, he left it on purpose. Because he sensed that I haven't eaten?

"So, did you eat it?" He asked once again. I could see the smile that he was hiding as the cigar twirled on his fingertips.

"A-actually, I haven't thought of that. But, I kept it. Maybe you could go there later when I open and grab it." I told him. What he was doing was too much since he was a complete stranger and I don't have the audacity to tell my name or ask for his.

"Maybe I can. Or you can eat it so I don't waste my money." He said before standing up. I suddenly felt a bit of guilt and wanted to apologize since I felt like his money was wasted.

"I-I can eat it." I told him before he grabbed his hoodie. He glanced at me one last time before smiling, his pearly white teeth flashing me and I swore that I saw it twinkle.

"Sure, then." He said before he held out his hand to my face as he offered a hand shake. I took it and we shook gradually. "Kingston."

I smiled as well. "Amelia."