S I X T E E N

F R E J A • P E A R L

"I want to be a serpent- the right way!" I said standing by the fridge.

"You're already a serpent, originally and by blood." Jughead said.

"No way I'm letting you that dance!" Dad said leaning back in his seat.

"Who said I choose that way." I said leaning my hands on the table.

"No!" Both dad and Jughead yelled.

A knock on the door interrupted what I was about to say, I rolled my eyes sitting on a chair as Jughead went to open the door for sheriff Keller, who stopped by four times already.

"Sheriff Keller! What a surprise." Jughead said opening the door.

"Jughead. FP. Quinn." Sheriff Keller said coming in. "Sorry to bother you, it's uh-." He said placing his hands on his hips.

"We do not have general Pickens' head, and we do not know who stole it." I said intertwining my hands together placing it on the table.

"Same as the last four times you asked us and our neighbors." Dad said.

"You know sheriff, these visits are starting to feel a lot like harassment." Jughead started making me continue.

"There is absolutely no evidence, zero proof whatsoever pointing to any particular group of suspects. So if you want to be the smarter person then stop walking into the same dead end, it leads nowhere." I said.

"Your brother did write a rather scathing article about the general's legacy, which prompted the Southside serpents to stop by Pickens day with an ax to grind." Sheriff Keller said.

"I'm actually writing a new article about how you seem to care more about catching a vandal than the black hood." Jughead said.

"Can he get a quote?" I said smirking.

Dad and Jughead chuckled at my comment, dad and I fist bumped and sheriff Keller dryly chuckled looking at the three of us.

"I would escort you out but I think you can handle that, right, Sheriff Keller?" I asked giving him a smile.

We watched as sheriff Keller go out and went back to our conversation.

"And her name's officially Freja 'Pearl' Jones!" Jughead shouted out.

"I want this dad! I went through way more difficult situations, what makes this worse?" I asked. " literally the first night I was here I got jumped by four men and came out with just a few minor cuts and a black eye. I can manage 'the walk'." I said.

"You'll also have to go through all four tasks, you know that?" Jughead said sitting at the table with us.

"I know how to take care of a dog, I know all the serpent laws by heart and I'm not afraid of a little snake." I said snickering at the last part.

"How do you even know that!" Jughead scoffed.

"No, Pearls! You're not doing any of that. And if I find out you went behind my back and did it I'll strip you off your jacket and remove you from the serpents, forever!" Dad said getting, wearing his jacket and leaving.