Chapter 3

David thought he knew what his father wanted.
Ever since the battle with the Philistines began, his father, wanting to do his share for the war-effort, had sent supplies to Saul's army. Plus a little something extra for his sons. Three of whom had signed up for battle.

Jesse, indeed, wanted David to go to the Valley of Elah, where the two armies were facing off each other, and deliver food.  But his heart was troubled. Why was it taking so long. Most other battles had been desicive, one way or the other. What was King Saul playing at? Why was he procrastinating? Surely he would seek God's will, and know if Yahweh was with them or not? Jesse would send David, not only with food, but with strict instructions to find out what was happening, and report back to his father.
David arrived at the Israelite's camp in the morning, it had taken him 3 days to complete the 140 km journey. He immediately went to the Keeper of supplies and off-loaded the provisions his father had sent. Now, for the second part of his mission. David wasn't sure who to talk to, regarding the battle delay, but thought his brothers might shed some light on the subject.
Finding them was another story.  The call to form ranks had been sounded, and subsequently, no one had time to speak to him. The camp was a hive of activity, soldiers running around, commanders shouting orders!
David was a little surprised!  If this is what happened every morning, why weren't the men more organised?  So thinking, he hurried along the lines of soldiers, searching for his brothers.

Eventually, after much imploring and numerous directions, David found his eldest brother.
"Good morning brother, you're looking very fierce in your uniform and armour this morning.....or is it just the stern look on your face, that makes you look like a soldier?"
David was genuinely glad to see Eliab, but knew his brother was a very serious person, who had little time for joking or fooling around. David hoped that his smile, when greeting his brother would lighten the mood and indicate that he was glad to see him. Eliab answered, surprised. "David! what are you doing here?" Eliab looked around, a bit embarrassed, "You shouldn't be here, boy! Can't you see we are busy with battle formations!" A bit deflated, David answered,
"I brought food from father, for the army and for you, Abinadab and Shammah." Eliab mumbled, "Yes well, go now, thank our father and return to your sheep, they are lonely, I can hear them bleating from here." The men standing within earshot tried hard to keep a straight face.
David knew he had been dismissed and would not get anything more out of his eldest brother today.  He ran down the line of soldiers and was heading back to the mess tent, when he heard his name being called,  "David?"  He spun round and standing in the entrance of the armoury tent, was his third eldest brother, Shammah, busy handing out weapons to soldiers as they filed past.  Again, David was genuinely overjoyed to see his brother.  "Sham, this is a surprise, when I looked for you I couldn't find you.  Now, when I had given up all hope of finding you......you find me!"
Shammah beckoned David over, "Come little brother, come stand by me, while I work, and tell me all the news.  What brings you here?"
David, at last, could unpack all his youthful excitement and inquisitiveness.  But started by saying, "I have just seen Eliab, and as I told him, Father sent me to bring food for the army, and a little something extra for you, Eliab and Abinadab.  Your parcels are at the tent of the Master of provisions.  Eliab was his usual drab self, not saying too much.  Father is concerned.  He wants to know why the war is dragging out so long.   Why don't you go down and fight?"
Shammah answered, "Ah my little brother, if only it was that simple.  It's a bit more complicated." David listened intently, but said nothing, so Shammah continued.  "The Philistines have a champion, named Goliath, who has thrown down a challenge, that he will fight a champion from our side.  If our champion wins, the Philistines will be our servants and serve us, but if Goliath wins, we will become the servants of the Philistines.  Unfortunately,  according to the rules of war, we must accept the challenge, and send someone to fight the Giant, or decline the challenge, in which case we automatically forfeit the victory, and become their slaves."
David mulled this information over in his mind for a moment, then answered, "I heard someone shouting across the valley this morning.....vile insults, and worst of all degrading and blaspheming against our God. Surely King Saul must do something, Yahweh will not let these insults go unpunished. He will punish us, His people, for allowing these taunts to continue."   The frustration in Shammah's reply, bore witness to the tense situation that the Israelites found themselves in.  "Do you think we haven't tried to come up with a solution.  The King has even tried to bribe us, offering wealth, exemption of taxes and even his own daughter's hand in marriage, if someone would only accept the giant's challenge." Shammah's face dropped. "What good is all that, when the birds are pecking the flesh from your bones as you lie face down in the mud, your lifeblood soaking into the ground."
"I still think we should fight....." Before David could finish, a large hand gripped his shoulder and spun him round.  He found himself looking into the angry face of his brother, Eliab.  "Fight, fight, fight!" His elder brother yelled, "is that all you can think about.  Have you come here to sit on the hillside, and have a grand view of the battle....have you come here to be entertained,  to stuff your face with food, while your own people lie dying in the valley.  Their heads severed from their bodies, javelins sticking out from their stomachs.  Do you think war is a game, boy! A sport that you can come and wager on who wins?  You want see blood, I'll show you blood! " Eliab was completely engulfed by his fury, and lifting his own sword, was about to do David bodily injury, when a strong hand gripped his arm and stayed his action. Eliab turned his head to see who had interrupted his chastisement of his youngest brother. Seeing Abner, Commander of the army, in person standing there, holding his arm, Eliab immediately became as a scolded dog. He dropped his arm and stood to attention, awaiting the reprimand, that must surely come from this highest ranking officer.
Abner, with understanding and composure, merely let go of Eliab's arm and turning to David said, "Greetings young music-maker, we meet again. It seems to me, you have need of your own music to calm The yourself this day. But enough of this dallying, I have come to take you to the King, he personally wants to see the scoundrel who asks so many questions and upsets his troops!"