|| 21.

King

La seine, la seine, la seine.
I don't know, don't know, so don't ask me why.

Emma's arms flailed as he danced in sync with the animated character singing on the TV. His moves were off, slower but the smile on his face was on point. I laughed a little when he spun around, tripping on his own feet before landing flat on his butt.

Not discouraged by that, he picked himself up, stuck his tongue out at me then resumed dancing with much more vigour than he had been doing. His eyes were trained on the screen where the female lead just gestured for her flea friend to join her and he rushed over to Esther to do the same. 

Esther was seated alone on the longest couch in the parlour, fingers moving rapidly over my iPad. Whatever reason she gave before collecting it, I couldn't recall it now. But I was starting to realise how much of a bad idea it was to let her have it; she barely said a word to us.

"Let's dance," Emma pouted when Esther looked at him. His hands were swinging by his side, head nodding to the beat.

She took her time in responding, when she finally stood up, albeit grudgingly, the dancing scene was over. Emma's shoulder slumped and she drew him closer to her, whispering into his ears while attempting to hug him. Perhaps what she said wasn't enough to pacify him because when she was done talking, he shrugged her hand off his shoulders while she just stared gloomily.

When he swirled to face me, his lips trembled, tears pooled at his eyes. The sight stirred something inside of me and my arms opened up to welcome him into an embrace. Rubbing circles on his back, I mentally prepared myself for his tears, thankfully, they never came.

"They finished dancing," his words came out muffled since his face was buried into my shoulders. 

I patted the space in between my legs for him to sit and he did so with a sad smile. So, I had no choice than to tickle his sides repeatedly until he wheezed with laughter, all traces of his earlier anger gone. 

"Bad Esther," he suddenly murmured under his breath without looking in her direction. I chuckled, realising that he was still upset but too sweet to make her feel bad so I took it upon myself to retaliate on his behalf.

Narrowing my eyes at Esther who had gone back to her previous position, unaware of what Emma said, I repeated his words, loud enough for her to hear. "Bad Esther." 

He must have been stunned to hear me say it out loud because he placed a hand over my mouth. His eyes widened and he shook his head in disapproval, releasing his hand when he was certain I wouldn't say it again.

His hand was still hovering over my lips when I spotted Esther fighting back her laughter, the corners of her lips lifted slightly. They were lucky to have each other, as troublesome as she was.

Annoyed at her for showing no remorse, I arched a perfect eyebrow at her, watching delightfully as the smug smile on her lips died when she couldn't replicate my action. It was childish of me but I got the last laugh on behalf of Uti's boys.

"I like French," Emma said out of the blues. I followed the direction of his eyes and it was on the TV.

The animated musical was French but the English dubbed version was playing on screen with a greater part of their singing done in the same language.

My chin was propped on his head and he twisted to face me, playing with my beards like it wasn't a part of my body. I slapped his hands away but it came right back.

"Me too." He smiled at my response then pulled out a strand of hair from my jaw.

"See," he dangled it in front of me like it was a souvenir and I grunted in reply. That shit was painful and whoever planted the idea in his head needed to be whipped.