[Chapter 6]Head in the clouds

I'll admit, customs really are a pain. But right now I don't want to think about it, in fact, I don't want to think about anything. I want to just fall asleep, to just let my mind slip away. And I intend to do just that. I lean my head against the plane wall, feeling the engines rumble in my skull, and slowly drift off to the sounds of life around me.

Columbia's dream. 

A woman slowly awakes in a field of flowers, one she remembers from so very long ago. She used to play in these gardens, with her sister, Maddie. The flowers are in full bloom, and she feels like she's in a rainbow. 

She gracefully rises to her feet, which she learns are bare. But luckily, at second glance, she is not. She is wearing a beautiful tan dress, which feels like a rap around of sorts. But she pays no attention to her dress, she pays more attention to the figure walking towards her. 

He lets his fingers brush the petals of flowers as he passes, delicately picking up a yellow daffodil. He wear brown shoes, kaki pants that seem so familiar, and a white dress shirt with a green sweater over it. She feels like she knows him, him with his dirty blonde hair, but she can not see his face, no matter how hard she tries. 

He approaches her, as music begins to play from thin air. It's a song she can't place, but it doesn't matter as he tucks the yellow flower behind her ear, surrounding it with her short blonde hair. He takes her by the waist, one hand just above her hip, and the other holding her hand. 

She places one hand over his shoulder as he kisses her knuckles, face still unseeable, and begins to sway. He puts their joined hands back out to the side and begins to dance, a dance she knows well. It's a waltz she has danced to many times, sometimes without a partner just for the nostalgic feeling. Other times she did it with a partner, a partner who's name she seems to have forgotten. 

No matter what, they dance, swaying back and forth in time to the tune.She eventually leans her head on the mans chest, hearing his heartbeat with a smile on her face. As the name begins to come to her, something changes. 

The music, it picks up pace, and she jerks her head up. She looks behind her, as if perhaps the answer will be sitting in broad daylight. But it isn't, instead everything has changed. Now the ground is a solid, polished wood, and the walls are covered in framed posters. The roof is curved, and has dangling yellow lights. There are tables, but they are pushed back. Other couples dance on the floor as well, as cha-cha rhythm instrumental begins to play. 

She looks back to the man, to find he has changed as well. Now instead of being eye to eye with an unrecognizable face, she is face to face with a blue clad chest. It's a military uniform, one she knows well but can't place. 

She looks down, finding herself still in the same attire, and still barefoot. Although he has shiny black boots. She looks up this time, and finds his face as just as unrecognizable as before. But she knows he's someone else, because this man has read eyes and white hair. He laughs a little, it's baritone and has an odd sound, but she finds she doesn't mind. 

He pulls her closer for a second, before going into second position and swinging her out, speaking for the first time. 

"Vhat's wrong, Frau?"

She smiles as she wings back into a birdcage position, and they dance a dance she loves so much. She answers in a breathy, happy whisper. 

"Nothing, nothing at all."

He laughs again, and she can tell he is grinning. She closes her eyes, and laughs with him. As the song comes to an end, she opens her eyes.