[Chapter 7]An Embarrassing Excursion

She was silent the whole drive to her house, and it was starting to bug me. Was she mad about me surprising her? Or was it something else. Well, silence will get me no where. 

"Sakura?"

She jumped a little in her seat, and turned to look at me nervously. 

"Yes?"

I give her a confused face. 

"Did I do something wrong?"

And this heart of gold immediately goes to tell me I'm wrong, to reassure me. What a freaking saint. 

"No! I mean, I mean no. You didn't do anything wrong, it's just, we haven't talked in a very long time. It's just hard to fall back into the rhythm we had when we were younger."

I reach over, and give her shoulder a reassuring squeeze. 

"I know, I'm just teasing. I don't expect us to go back to how we were right away, I'm just asking that we try."

Sakura smiles at, telling me she understands. I take my hand back, and we sit a little more comfortably in the small space of the backseat. I decide that while this is nice, I do want to talk. Not about one thing, just anything really. 

"So, have you redecorated?"

She looks over at me with an incredulous expression. I go to do a full arm shrug, before leaning back against the window of the car. 

"What?"

"It has been over six decades, do you really expect it to stay the same?"

"We stay the same, why wouldn't our houses?"

"Please don't tell me your house still looks like it did six decades ago."

'What? No!"

"Then-"

"It burned down, so I kind of had to start again."

Sakura just gives me a fed up look. 

"No, my house is not the same as it was six decades ago."

"Okay, awesome, just asking."

We sit the rest of the drive in silence, and it only breaks when we reach the house. I gape at the sheer size of it as the car rolls to a stop, and look over at Sakura, a question clear in my expression. She shrugs before she answers. 

"I live here with Kiku as well, and many countries happen to have a habit of visiting unexpectedly."

And with that, she gets out of the car. I get it together, and fallow her lead. We approach the house, and she tells me my bags will be taken care of. She starts to explain the history of the place, and even though I know it's rude, I sort of tuned her out. I just wanted to take in the majesty of this place. 

As we round a corner, I run into a hard chest. 

"Oh, Kiku, I thought you said you were going to be staying with Germany and Italy for a little while after the meeting?"

Hearing who it was that I had just bumped into, I jerked myself back. I took three big steps back and sheepishly looked up at the Japanese country. He looked more surprised at my presence than the fact that I ran into him. I know he has a thing about personal space. 

"Kiku?"

That seems to break him out of his stupor, and he turns to look at his sister, speaking to rapidly in Japanese for me to translate. 

"なぜ彼女はここにいるのですか?" (Why is she here?)

"彼女をここに招待したからです." (Because I invited her here.)

Whatever they were saying, he didn't sound aggressive, only very, very confused. That I could expect, he probably has no idea we made up two days ago. But Sakura, ever the diplomat, took it upon her to settle out whatever tension was between us. But how can she, when she doesn't know my dream?

"Well, Columbia, you have met Kiku before, so there is no need for introductions. Why don't you fallow me, and we can get you settled."

"Um, yeah, sure. Lead the way."

Kiku averted his eyes, and quickly moved on. I swallowed nervously, and fallowed Sakura. We passed through many more hallways before she showed me to a simple bedroom, clearly made for a western nation. I smiled at that, so she wasn't making it up that a lot of countries stop by unexpectedly. 

Sakura left just as soon as she came, and I was confused for a second, but brushed it off. She used to do the same thing, back in the old days. She likely has something she wanted to show me, and has to go get. 

I take note that my bags are already in here, and since it is just about nighttime, I start my usual routine. Get changed, brush teeth and hair, and wait for your new friend to return. She does, soon enough, and it's in the most stunning dress I have ever seen. It almost makes me regret my choice of outfit.  

It fir her beautifully, and I can say I was a little jealous. I recognized the ode to the cherry blossom, and smiled at the reminder of our first real conversation. She took in my reaction nervously, seemingly waiting for me to say something. 

"You look amazing."

I smiled as I saw her relived sigh, and then she gestured to me. I tilted my head and gave her a confused face. 

"Now you have to show me your dress."

I was taken aback for a second, my friend was never one to be so forward. But, this is a time for new beginnings. I don't think I need to start assuming things now. I exhale a little, but smile at her anyway. 

Walking over to my suitcase, I ruffle through until I find the black fabric. 

"Just wait one sec."

I enter the bathroom attached to my room, and start to take off my pajamas. It crosses my mind that maybe, just maybe, this was going to be totally embarrassing. I don't usually show so much skin, but I liked this dress a lot. So, as I do a once over in the mirror, I take a deep breath, and brave my old friend. 

~~~~~half an hour later~~~~~  

I sit criss cross on my bed, pouting slightly, and blushing heavily. Sakura sits next to me, her legs dangling off the bed, covering her giggles with her mouth. I turn to glare at her, what just happened was not funny. It was entirely embarrassing. She gives me an understanding, but still teasing, look. 

"Oh come on, Columbia, how could I have known he was going to come in?"

"Why didn't you just lock the door in the first place?"

"I did not think it was necessary."

"Not necessary-"

"What is so problematic about this, anyway? He left immediately."

I gape at her, how can she not understand this?

"What's so problematic? What's so problematic is that your brother just saw me in a tight black dress and walked out with a nose bleed! That's what's problematic!"

I fell back on bed with a groan, and I could tell Sakura was rolling her eyes with a smile. 

"That means he liked it."

"And that is not the point."

Sakura shook her head softly, not entirely understanding why her friend was so upset. Yes, she would have been embarrassed, but not upset. If a man liked it, it meant she was pretty. And that was a good thing, right?"

The Japanese capital stood up, and slowly left her friends room, making sure to close the door behind her. 

"Goodnight, Columbia."

"Goodnight Sakura..."

I decided that whatever happened, I might as well sleep on it. I'll feel better in the morning. So, I nestled under the covers, and closed my eyes. Only enough, sleep came to me easy tonight.