I can't loose you

Evangeline

I get out of the meeting room pratically dragging Mare with me. She follows me normally, knowing that I always do this kind of things when I wanna talk with her.
Cal comes right after us but I stop him with a look, trying to make him understand this is not a conversation he can participate. Fortunatelly he understands, and when he leaves the room he goes to the opposite direction, towards the garages.
I drag Mare to one of the closest rooms, opening the door and closing it right after. We're in the palace's library, that before was Maven's own office. It stays the same, aside from the lack of portraits and tapestries dedicated to the former kings of Norta. They were removed a few weeks after the war with the Lakelands, and now the walls remain empty.

- So...I suppose you didn't drag me here to se decoration Eve - Mare is sitting in one of the tables, looking at me ironically.

- What happened? - I say as it was a joke, but she knows that I'm worried about her.

- What do you mean with what happened? - she laughs, trying to soften the conversation - I already told you I'm fine Evangeli-

- No you're not. You almost didn't talked during the meeting, and I can see you're nervous about something because since you walked in that room you haven't stopped with that tic of tapping with the finger in your leg - I point to her thigh and slighly smile. - The lessions from Mrs. Blonos are failing, princess Mareena Titanos.

The mention of her old name make her wonder for a second, lost in thoughts and memories - I'm fine Eve, I promise.

- No, you're not. You know I'm one of the best at reading emotions, Mare. - I walk back and forth until stopping in front of her and looking deep into her eyes, trying to understand what's wrong with her. She can hide well her emotions this time, but I always find a loophole between them. - Ok...I see Cal in whatever is wrong with you...hum...

It only takes me a few seconds to realize. - How far long are you?

- How did you... - a flicker of astonishment crosses her eyes and she hides her face for a second, blushing. - 8 weeks. But Eve, you have to promise you won't-

- I'll keep the secret, I promise. - after all she seem way more relieved than before - I know how danger it can be if the new of the pregnancy spreads, especially with the Lakeland's spies in the city.

- Exacly. - Mare looks away while a wire o eletricity travels between her fingers.- I...I don't know what to do Eve. I don't know how I'll tell him...

- Cal? He's the father, right? - she glares at me and I smile slyly.

- Do you think I would-? You're impossible, Samos - the eletricity that was in her fingers comes know in my direction.
Although I know it's harmless, my senses of self defense make me react involuntarily, so I deflect the electricity in the opposite direction with on of my blades. The electricity tears innocently into the hair before reaching Mare, and she watches me with an amused smile. - You're having fun, Barrow? Do you want a duel like in the trainings of the past?

- You can try Samos, but you know I'll win. - she smiles again. - yes, Cal is the father. It could only be him.

I ignore the provocation and continue with the conversation. - Honestly, I also don't know how he'll react. I don't know him well enough to know that. But I know you do. - I turn to her and grab her hands, forcing her to look me in the eyes. - You know him better than me, Mare, and you know you have to tell him. After all, what's the worst that can happen? It's a child. A descendent of you two, a part of his blood and a part of yours. I'm sure he'll be happy about it. - I smile sincerely and I put a arm behind her back, to hug her. - And I promise if you need, I'll be here to support you.