S3.43_Unwanted Husband

Chapter 43

The last thing she remembered was that she was been thrown into the water. The huge stones, which was tied to her ankle was that heavy that she was sinking deeper and deeper. Her lungs felt as it was about to explode when she held it in for as long she could afford it, and when Soo finally let out what she considered as the last breath it appeared as if something came into her blurry field of view. But before that person could reach her she had already surrendered.

Maybe, Soo had been living in a fantasy for too long, but in fact, she had hoped to wake up in another world and not to this damn ancient space. Last time she drowned, her soul was transported into another time and space, so what in the damn world happened this time? Did that time-travel-thing malfunctioning or what?

I'm still alive?... Soo lamented.

She sat up from bed, not knowing how long she had been here. But for what she could see it had just turned morning. Flipping the blanket over, Soo tried to get up, but it appeared as if her legs weren't following her will. Her finger brushed against her legs, but for some reason, she hardly felt anything. There were round marks around both her ankles, which was probably due to the rope which had been tied around them.

Suddenly her stomach growled loud and she suddenly found it lucky that no one was here to hear that. Although struggling, she managed to put down her feet to the ground and stand up. But why did it suddenly felt as if they were heavier than the sky? Why was it so hard to move them?

Suddenly a gust of wind blew, sending chills down her spine. Her legs turned soft and the next thing she knew, was that she was already falling to the floor. Upon the fall, the doors suddenly opened and a man came rushing to her side. Kneeling beside her, the man wrapped his arm around her, his breath shaky as if he had been scared to death.

The man held her tighter, to the extend that she felt suffocating in his arms.

You are finally awake. He thought.

Although the man hasn't hugged her to his heart's content, Soo pushed herself away and broke the hug. She wouldn't be able to break free from his hold, if not the man had also given into her, the moment he felt her small fist against his chest.

The man looked at her with a dazed gaze, his eyes were glittering from the tears that threatened to escape. Soo doubted that she would ever forget this face, even after many lives. It was the emperor. He wasn't wearing the mask as he used to in the palace, which made his expression even clearer. He looked nervous, scared but also relieved.

What are you doing here?

"Soo..."

Weren't you getting married to Yeonhwa?

"...you are finally "

Why aren't you by her side then?

"...awake"

Stingy jerk!

"Soo..."

Don't come near me!

"...What's wrong?"

The emperor extended his hand, trying to reach hers, but Soo backed away from him, limbing back till her body hit against the bed. If her damn legs had cooperated she would probably be running out of this place without looking back.

The emperor looked at her with an expression that said 'hurt', but Soo didn't care. She didn't want to get near that person. It wasn't her that left him. It was him, who had abandoned her. Didn't she stay by his side when he was cruel to her? Didn't she put him first, even letting herself become the traitor in people's eyes, just so he could sit safely on his throne? But how did he returned that? He married another person when she was about to die!

The thought made her angry, and she was as blinded by furry. As the emperor tried to get near, Soo grabbed whatever was in her reach to throw it at him. A pillow behind her, or the hanging blanket from the edge of her bed. Everything was thrown in his direction.

The emperor's expression suddenly turned dark. He grabbed both her wrist and forced her to stop her hysteric act.

"Who are you to hold my hand!?" Was the first thing she said to him. The emperor furrowed his brows as he looked at her. What did she mean by those words? Who he was? Why would she ask that? Unless...

"Let go of my hand!"

Absorbed in his thoughts, the emperor didn't fight her back as she broke his hold. He only stared at her with what seemed like a confused expression while she glared back at him as if he was her enemy.

"What did you just say?" The emperor spoke, his voice near hurt.

Soo ignored the question. Diverting her eyes at her hands, Soo touched her wrists as if trying to massage them from the pain which the emperor had inflicted.

"Who am I to you?" He asked once more, but as she didn't answer he grabbed her shoulder and forced her to face him.

"How should I know?" Soo said whilst brushing away his arm.

"Then why were you afraid of?"

Finally, he got the chance to ask this. The question which had pestered him from the first time they met.

"Waking up to a stranger, who suddenly locks you in their embrace, who wouldn't freak out?" Soo asked.

So that's it. The emperor thought.

Moon is angry. Fine. I'll just let you vent your anger.

"Well, then let me tell you." The emperor said, carefully choosing his words. "I'm your savior."

Like I didn't know. Soo mentally spat.

"Just because you are my savior doesn't mean you can hug me as you please."

Did he buy it? That I have gone nuts?

"Then who can hug you as he pleases?" The emperor played along.

He doesn't mind me going nut? The thought somehow irritated her, but still, Soo answered his question as if she wasn't affected.

"My husband."

"Then I am that one,"

"What?"

"I said I'll be your husband."

"I don't have a husband like you."

"What's wrong with a husband like me?" His tone suddenly teasing.

Rude! Unfaithful! dishonest! A complete recipe for a jerk!

"Well, first of all, you don't look friendly."

"Oh, are you scared of my scar?" The emperor asked pointing at his face.

Wait, why aren't you offended? Did the shock make him go nuts? or is it just me?

"Why blame the scar? Your personality is the problem here."

"Do you know who you are talking to?" The emperor asked, his voice suddenly turned dark.

"I mad man, who claims to be my husband."