The soiled dove

Chapter 3

I look up at the clock, when will my life be over? If only I could speed up the days to my last day on this cruel earth. What did master mean when he said 'her'. And how can that be a gift. Well, I suppose his version of having 'some fun', wasn't that either.

I can't stop thinking about that dream, and who is this man that was calling my name? Who was the girl who practically sacrificed herself for me? Why did I feel joyful in that dream? Even when I was being torn apart, as soon as that voice said my name something changed. I felt.... love.

I try repeating the dream in my mind to feel something again, but every time I repeated it doubts flood into my mind, telling me that it's impossible. That it will never happen, that master is always going to be there holding me down. I drift off back to sleep with a little hope still locked in my heart, maybe I can be free.

I wake to a small whimper at the furthest end of my room. It is light enough for me to see master, and the small pail face of the beaten girl from tea time. She is hunched over in the corner trying to hide her small frail body from masters blows.

Master walks over to me and rips me up by my hair. Clawing at him for him to put me down. He drags me to the girl. "Here, I brought you a little whore friend." master proclaims. I look at the girl into her ocean blue eyes. They have changed, the sweet innocence is gone and has been replaced with a fear, and hurt.

She is soiled and broken. " What have you done to her! " I scream at master. Images of my mother's and father dead cold bodies flash right before me. I start throwing anything I can find at him. Memories of the first dreaded night here when master chained me so he could get what he wanted. "Why have you done this to her!" I scream, tears streaming down my face. I pick up my vase and smash it as masters feet. He doesn't even flinch. I fall on my knees "why have you done this to me? I was only a child. Why did you let master take me, lord." I cry into my hands. Why?

"You foolish girl. You ask why to a God who has forsaken you." Master chuckles. "The only 'god' here is me. If there were a god do you really think that he would let you end up here. In the biggest brothel in Sydney. Ha. I doubt it" he laughs pushing me causing me to fall onto the girl. "I thought I taught you better Delphie."

He yanks me up by my hair, his dark eyes piece through my soul, his eyes are pitch black, it is like staring into the eyes of satin himself. "If I were you, you pathetic slut, I wouldn't behave like that again, or you might just meet this so called god" he spits out that last word and drops me down leaving me to rot another day.

I kneel on the floor for a while looking at my hands. I flinch as someone touches my shoulder, I look up and see the girl she gives me a weak smile. "thank you" she leans down and hugs me. "Jesus has not forsaken you, he will save us" I look up at her, did I really mention God? "I don't believe in God" I tell her still in shock of what is happening. "well surely a small part of you does, because if not you wouldn't of called out to him." she says with sympathy In her voice. " No I really don't, like master said if there were a god I wouldn't be here, and even if there is no one cause for a prostitute."

I stand up and walk to my bed. "you might want to rest we both are working in a few hours. you can sleep with me so many people have been in this bed it doesn't matter any more" I laugh trying to look ok with it. She gets up and walks to the other side of the bed and kneels bowing her head she says "dear lord thank u for bringing me here, thank you for my suffering, thank you for this life you have given me, thank you for surrendering your life for me, please protect me. In Lord Jesus' name amen." She stands up and hops into bed. " My names Faith, by the way." She says quietly. "Delphie" I answer under my breath. "Night, Delphie, God will save us, don't be afraid."