Chapter 5

The year Callie turned 2, Josh was called upon to travel to Afghanistan. It would be a dangerous mission and they told us he might never come home. I advised him to not go over and over again, but he went anyway. He said he'd come home safely, nothing would happen. But what did he know?
He had been gone for 3 years when there was an earthquake in Afghanistan. Josh's team was seriously affected by it. They said the team was in a building at the time of the earthquake and the building collapsed, causing some of the team to be injured and some others were killed. Josh fell under the 'killed' category. That night, after the call came, I cried for hours. I remember how Callie stared at me while I cried, wanting to help but not knowing how to. In the days after that, I couldn't get myself to do much. It was my friends like Paige and Maddie and Brooke who helped me get through it.
Years passed without Josh and Callie grew older and older. Soon, she was starting to ask about her daddy. She could barely remember him, how he looked and the things they did together. It broke my heart to hear her asking and I simply couldn't bring myself to tell her he was gone, so I said he was far away doing good deeds.
Later on, after Callie started school, she would come home crying sometimes, saying that the other kids had called her an orphan. "But I'm not an orphan, I still have you mama," she would say to me. That made me smile, but the fact that she was getting bullied made me feel guilty. Maybe if I'd tried harder, Josh wouldn't have left.
But he did, and this was what happened.