Chapter Two

Lillian gasped and spun around, but nothing was there. "I'm just going crazy, that's all." She took a step forward and then the shadow passed on the other side of her. She froze. "Don't look. Don't Look. Don't look," she chanted. "Just keep walking."

Why didn't she keep the pepper spray in her purse? Instead, she hid it in the back of her closet so Manny wouldn't find it. A dense fog rose up from the ground around her, blanketing her in a sea of darkness. "You're not in a movie. You're fine!" she said, trying to reassure herself as she tentatively took a step forward, feeling the path beneath her feet.

As long as she stayed on the paved path she'd be fine, it went right through the forest. Her house was just across the street on the other side. Lillian let out a shaky breath, holding her purse tight to her chest. No one was going to steal it from her tonight.

Another glimpse of the dark shadow made her run in the direction of the forest. Not something easy to do in heels. Her heels echoed louder than the rain did as they hit the ground. She cringed at the sound. Lifting her foot she went to take another step, but her heel caught on something and she fell forward with a cry.

Her umbrella went flying, and her hands scraped the ground as she slid forward. Her knees cracked on contact with the hard concrete. She lay still for a moment, water soaking through her clothes. Finally catching her breath, she rose to her haunches and looked around for her purse that had slipped from her grasp.

"I think you're looking for this."

She screamed at the voice, and when a person appeared in front of her dressed in all black, she scrambled backward away from him. It almost looked like he formed from the mist in the air. He reached down to help her, but she shied away from him. "Please, don't hurt me."

"I just want to help," he said, holding out his hand. His eyes looked as black as midnight, but she wasn't sure whether it was because of the lighting or the spots she had in front of her eyes from falling. He wiggled his long skinny fingers again, encouraging her to accept his help.

When their hands touched, she jumped as a cool sensation zipped through her body. His hand was ice cold, like it had been stuck in a freezer, but it didn't appear to be frostbitten or anything. He lifted her up as though she were as light as a feather.

"Which way were you going?" he asked.

When he released her, she spun in a circle, confused by the fog. She couldn't tell which way to go. "I'm looking for Cliveden Avenue."

He glanced around for a moment and then pointed in front of her. "It's that way. Come on, let's go." Every fiber of her being said not to go with him and that she should run to the caretaker's building, but the look in his eyes kept her in place. "I'll keep you safe, I promise."

She tilted her head and studied him. Despite his dark eyes, his smile was soft and his hand gentle. But she knew that didn't necessarily mean anything. Manny was the same way when they had first met. He didn't turn into a monster until she moved in with him.

"That's okay. I'll be fine," she said.

"I'm not going to let you go through the forest alone. It's not the safest place."

If this guy walked her back, she'd have a fight on her hands. Manny might even kill the helpful stranger. And that scared her more than her own health.

"It's not me I'm worried about. My boyfriend won't take kindly to you walking me home."

His fingers balled into a fist. "Abusive?"

"I don't want to talk bad about him." He always seemed to know when she did. This man could even be a friend of his trying to give her a scare. "I really should get going." She started to walk in the direction he pointed, hoping he'd give up on the idea of going with her, but he fell into step beside her.

"What if I told you that you could have the power to stop him?"

"I wish," she scoffed.

"No, really. What if I could offer you a gift that gives you unparalleled power?"

Lillian rolled her eyes. "That only exists in movies."

"Well, then, consider this a movie and pretend you're playing a part."

She took a step away from him, her anxiety kicking up a notch as a chill rushed through her. He was going to hurt her. "I'm...uh...I'm just going to go." He must have escaped from an insane asylum. She started walking away as fast as her heeled feet could carry her.

"You'd be free," he said. "That's what you want, isn't it?"

"How'd you know that?"

"It doesn't matter." He approached her, taking her hands in his. "What matters is that I can give you what you want."

"How?"

"Close your eyes." This was lunacy, but she closed them anyway. Her desire to be rid of Manny overtook her common sense. He moved behind her, pulling her close to him. "Don't be afraid.

His breath was cool against her neck, sending a shiver down her spine. "You're so cold."

"Sorry," he said softly. "Ready?"

She nods. A moment later, she draws in a sharp breath as red-hot pain spreads through her body, like alcohol on a cut. Her eyes fling open and she sees his fangs buried deep in the flesh of her wrist. She tries to pull away, but he's too strong.

"Let me—" She didn't even get a chance to finish her sentence before his poison made her body go limp, paralyzing her like a spider's venom.

"I t-trusted y-you," she said, her voice garbled and unclear.

"Just rest, my darling. You'll be well again soon," he whispered into her hair as her world went black.