Chapter 3: Unofficial (official) parents

I couldn't stop thinking about Inosuke normally since the incident in the flower field. I don't remember what happened after. One moment I was underneath the pale moonlight, the next I was on my bed, the sun shining through the white curtains that did little to shield me from the bright hot sun. Turns out, he carried me inside and laid me down before leaving. He even went to the extent of taking off my shoes and tucking me in.

Mirai ended up having another sleepover with Mitsuri, much to my dismay. I was starting to feel  bad for the both of them, and feeling guilty myself for always having to leave her with them. No matter how many times they reassured me, guilt slithered its way into my system, a sick unpleasant pit forming in my stomach.

I got ready for school, realizing I'd have to face Inosuke again. I glanced over at the pictures we took together resting on my vanity before smiling.

You shouldn't think of him that way (Y/n). He's your friend. Besides, you've lost the privilege to love long ago...

I quickly got dressed and did my daily routine before heading out with Mirai. After dropping her off at Mitsuri's place, I started my journey into the layers of hell. Sorry, I meant school.

I noticed Inosuke waiting for me at the front gate. How could I not? He sticks out like a sore thumb. It's like he's one of the main protagonists in an anime or something.

"(Y/n)!" He instantly noticed me. It's like I could feel his presence and he could feel mine too.

"Aw were you waiting for me?" I teased and tried my best to bat my eyes at him. A playful grin tugging at the corners of my lips.

"N-no! It's not like that!" He turned away. I grabbed his cheek, slightly pulling it, earning a series of 'Ow's' and a 'knock it off' from him.

I suddenly felt eyes boring into the back of my head sending shivers down my spine. I knew who they belonged to, yet something still compelled me to look. It wasn't curiosity, no, it was confirmation.

To my surprise no one was there. Was I imagining things? Was this just my paranoia coming into play? Probably, it wouldn't be the first time.

"You alright?" Inosuke asked, concern laced in his voice as he looked over my shoulder to see what had caused me to become so uncharacteristically silent.

"Yeah! Perfectly fine!" I lied wearing a false smile that made my skin prickle. He didn't seem satisfied with the answer, but didn't press me about it. I was never the best with hiding things, not that I ever really tried to.

"Ok well, let's get to class." He hooked his arm with mine before skipping to class, dragging me along with him.

"(Y/n)! Inosuke! Don't you ever get sick of pulling such childish antics?!" The professor asked. Her hair coated heavily in flour. Once again she had fallen into our trap. We tried to contain our giggles but her reaction made it impossible to do so.

"No." He plainly stated, infuriating her further. I elbowed him in the side, signaling for him to be quiet.

"I apologize Professor, it won't ever happen again." I crossed my fingers behind my back. Hehe pulled a little sneaky on you.

"You know the drill. Off to the Principals office!" She yelled at us, although it fell on deaf ears. We had gone through this enough times to know the schedule.

I was about to knock on the door when it was suddenly slammed open by the headmaster himself.

"Principal Muzan, what a pleasure to see that you have decided to grace us with your presence on this lovely morning." I smiled innocently up at him.