The Truth

A/N

This chapter is kind of on the serious side. So, please don't hate me! And I hope you'll like the new cover!!

---------

Chapter 6: The Truth

It's ten am and I am sitting in the courtroom waiting for the judge to come in. I still did not know what to do in order to win the case. Carl's 'pull the rabbit out of your hat' idea was still stuck in my head, but I didn't understand what I should do.

Very shortly the judge arrived and the prosecution started. She heard both of girls sing. This thing was getting me really nervous. I didn't know how was I going to win. What was going to be the rabbit that I pull out of my hat? Only God knows.

"Lisa, that was magnificent. But the other little girl was quite good, too. And given the discretion that has to be allowed to producers in these situations...." The judge was about to say something else and I cut her off "Your Honor, we have something called the Equal Protection Clause. We have something called the 14th Amendment. I believe it's actually required reading for judges. I could be wrong there." I said.

The door bury open and said "Could I be heard, Your Honor?" the person while he was walking towards me. He stopped in front of me and said "Sorry, I'm late." and he walked away.

"I heard about this matter. I would like to address this court on what I consider.." The judge cut him off and said "I'm sorry, Reverend. But you have no standing here" She said. "I have standing as an American Citizen speaking up on civil rights violation." He said. "Reverend Sharpton, I will ask you to step down. You have no standing in this proceeding." The judge said.

When the judge said Reverend Sharpton, I remembered who the guy was. He hates racism. His news keeps on coming. He supports lesbians, gays and same-sex marriage.

"I have a standing as Bobby Kennedy had standing on the steps of the courthouse in Alabama!" Said the Reverend. "No one is denying this little girl an education, sir. She just can't play the part." Said the judge.

"You may think this is a small matter. But this is no small matter. This child is being denied the right to play a part in a great American play because she doesn't match the description. Those descriptions were crafted 50 years ago! We're supposed to be in a different day We talk about racial equality. How we're making progress. The problem with that progress is it's always a day away. Tomorrow, tomorrow, you love that! Because it's always a day away. I'm here to stick out my chin today! Today! Give us an African American Spider Man! Give us a black that can run faster than a speeding bullet and leap over tall buildings in a single bound. Not tomorrow today! Today! The sun needs to come out today! Not tomorrow, Your Honor! God Almighty! Give the American people a black kid in the Sound of Music . It's just not good enough to say she doesn't look the part." Said Reverend Sharpton.

I was standing there and looking at the Reverend talk and the way he expresses what he feels. Everyone was clapping and everyone stood up. With that he walked towards me. "This is what you call a rabbit, son. Carl Sack." He said and walked away.

The opposition lawyer walked towards the judge. The judge called me there. "You two and your clients are going to discuss this matter in private and make sure you don't come to this court with the same matter again!" With that the judge walked away.

After lunch we meet with the opposition. "It's controversy. That's what Al Sharpton does. And he does it well. He doesn't just make noise. He lights and carries a torch of racial controversy. Which you know! Which is why you're here. We need to put this one out, good people. Controversy is bad business for musicals. Your production will open and close faster than you can say Trent lott. I assume youve have come with a proposal. Let's hear it." I told them.