Chapter Five

Light flashes before my eyes.

   We rush out on our chariot. There is light everywhere. Not just the sun going down, but the cameras, too. Lots of them. At first I feel blinded, then I really see what the crowd looks like. There are enormous stands full of Capitol faces. At first I don't know what to do. Do I wave? Or smile? I look over at Katniss and she's waving and smiling and seems to be having a good time. I also wave and smile. I hear the crowd chanting our names. I feel like the star of the show. We come to the end of the roadway and President Snow waits at the top of a platform standing behind a podium. 

   "Welcome to the 74th annual Hunger Games!" he says in a booming voice. 

   The crowd cheers wildly in response.

   "I would like to personally welcome the tributes from all the districts. We want to make you feel welcome here in the Capitol."

   He keeps talking, but I don't pay attention to what he's saying. I look around and really see how big the crowds are. There are tons and tons of bleachers full of extravagantly dressed Capitol people. They seem happy, no elated, to see a group of kids murder each other in an arena. What twisted minds they have.

   "Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be ever in your favor."

   I tune in just as President Snow is finishing his speech.

   We are lead back in our chariots into some exit on the opposite side of where we entered. We meet Haymitch, Effie, Portia, and Cinna.

   "You guys did great out there," said Cinna. 

   "Thank you, Cinna." Katniss hugs Cinna as I hug Portia. We head back to the penthouse and relax in our rooms until supper. I want to go talk to Katniss, but she probably is busy changing. I undress from my parade outfit and change into a t-shirt and jeans and a sweater. Effie calls for me to come out for dinner. I walk to the dinner table and its full of the richest, fanciest food I have ever seen. Effie is already sitting and just as I sit down, Haymitch trudges in, half drunk. A minute later, Katniss comes in dressed in a t-shirt and sweats. We start eating, and Effie tries to keep up some small talk.

   "You guys were fabulous out there today!" she says, all too happy.

   "Thanks Effie," says Katniss.

   "Tomorrow you guys will be training with the other tributes," says Haymitch, in a drunken slur. "Don't show off your best talents until you meet with the Gamemakers privately." 

   "Great. See you tomorrow," I say.

   I get up from the table and head to my room. I change into some comfy pajama pants and shirt. I get under the silk sheets and stare at the ceiling. I wonder what training will be like. They never televise it, so nobody knows what it's like except the Gamemakers and the tributes. Does everyone do the same station and rotate? Can anyone do whatever stations they want? I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow.