Chapter Eight

I strode out of the staff room early this Thursday morning leaving behind a wake of claps and cheers on my trail

I strode out of the staff room early this Thursday morning leaving behind a wake of claps and cheers on my trail. With tired eyes and an aching body, I glanced around at the few stray nurses in uniform and doctors in scrubs that had appeared from conjoining corridors to come to say one final goodbye.

With the last shoulder pats and lingering arms around my neck from my former colleagues, we parted with good wishes and hollow promises of keeping in touch, which maybe we would keep to for a while at least.  

I had just finished a twelve-hour night shift at Millake University Hospital but this wasn't like any other, this was my final shift working for the hospital that had made me the doctor I was. I had trained at this hospital, I had gained my experience here and once I had graduated as a doctor this was my first real job as a qualified medical professional. 

Now I was ready to say goodbye, to step out and focus on being a better person, a better man, a better brother. 

I had my rucksack in one hand and numerous small gift bags clutched together in my other. The familiar sounds, sights and smells rushed past me as I took my final steps along the awakening corridors. One last look around the barely empty waiting room and I was set free into the early morning autumn sun. 

During the ten-minute drive home, my mind drifted off to that day. It was the third of June, I had gone back to my hometown to interview for the position of emergency room doctor at Rosaline Valley Hospital. 

But the interview wasn't what I remembered most about that day. 

After I had left the two-hour interview I met up with some old friends for lunch at a bar. The only thing I had hoped to fall into my lap that day was a job I really wanted, not for the most beautiful woman I had ever laid eyes on to fall through the door I had just pulled open. 

The moment her tiny hands landed on my chest to cushion her fall I felt like I had been shocked with a defibrillator and the way she jolted backwards away from me I was certain she had felt that surge of magnetism between us too. 

I was hypnotised by her big, brown doe eyes, the way they drew me in I noticed that they were embedded with shock. The harder I looked the more I was certain it was a reflection of my own surprise that I saw deep within them. 

I reached out my fingers and touched her elbows just to make sure I would be there ready to catch her if her unsteady and jittery body would buckle from underneath the weight of her panic. However, the more my eager digits brushed against her soft skin the more I had to hold back from caressing her. 

Every elicit shift of my fingers caused electrical charges to bounce between our skin. It tickled, it caused pleasure, it made me crave for more of it. The spark between our bodies saturated deep within my skin, within every cell of my body where it was hiding out to be ignited by one touch from her again.