chapter 4

— Goodbye, lovebirds!

Simon turned his head back, laughed falsely, and finished off by showing Sebastian and Gregory his middle finger.

— This is my car, —said David. He took his keys out of his back trouser pocket— we are lucky that the steering wheel is on the right side.

The why and for what purpose David said that didn't interest Simon. The guy just waited for him to open the car and drive away so Gregory and Sebastian would stop watching them mockingly.

David opened the door and moved to sit in the driver's seat, but his intelligence made him stop halfway. Simon noticed it too.

Problem one: introduced.

Sebastian and Gregory hurt their throat with loud laughter.

— What if we went up the other side?

They did, and David had to go over the space where the gear lever was. He said a rude thing and once he was on the right side, he dropped onto the seat.

— You're going to have to move your hand closer to me so I can drive.

— I can't believe it. Are you really so useless that you can't drive with one bloody hand.

David glared at him and started the car in a jerky manner.

— It's not the right way to drive.

— Oh, yeah? I don't give a shit.

— Let me tell you something, Simon. If we continue in this way, I'm not going to take it anymore and I'll cut off my hand if that's what it takes to get three miles away from you.

Simon didn't say anything. He opened the window and put his elbow on the bare edge so that the sun of the day would hit his forearm. He also put his left leg up on the seat and leaned back. He was tired, sleepless and irritated.

David saw this from the side of his eye—. Put your leg down.

— Oh my God! —he cried out, reluctantly lowering his leg.

The journey took twenty minutes and Simon hadn't had anything to do but watch everything but David. He also had changed the radio to his favorite station and hummed a few songs.

— We're here —David told and slowed his car down.

— Where?

— What do you mean, where? My house —David laughed—. You didn't know we were coming here?

— Nope.

— And why... forget it.

They got out of the car, now Simon enjoying the difficult part of the process which was jumping the middle of the car. They walked to the entrance.

— I'm here! —they entered the house. They stepped down the hall and turned right into a small kitchen. A girl with her back facing them was just closing the refrigerator.

She turned around and her eyes opened wide.

— What the hell? —she giggled.

— Nothing interesting. It's for a school project —said David and put the car keys on the table—. We'll go upstairs.

— A bet —said Simon before David took him upstairs.

Simon didn't ask anything at all. Not about the funny pictures on the walls, not about David's parents, not even about the girl he assumed was his sister. He just wasn't like that.

They went to the second door on the left and the semi-ordained white room welcomed them.

David sighs and lies down on the spacious bed. Simon had to stand at the side of the mattress. He felt embarrassed for some reason and as always was his reaction to those emotions, he said angrily.

— And what the fu —

— We're going to have to find a way to make these things not rub so much on our skin —David interrupted him. He put his hand in front of his eyes and filtered the fingers of his other hand into the space between the reddened skin and the shiny material. It hurt.

— Whatever.

— I'm tired. I'm going to get some sleep.

— Okay, don't worry, I'll watch over your dreams, princess.

David detected Simon's dark circles under his eyes. Of course Simon was tired too, after all they had been partying until seven in the morning. David's empathic side won out and David switched to the free side of the bed—. You can get some rest too.

— No way I'm sharing a bed with you, you faggot.

David clenched his teeth at the insult. He was trying to be nice to him and Simon just reminds him how hateful he is.

— Fuck you then —David went back to the other side of the bed and turned his back on him.

The standing boy snorted and since David didn't seem to want to say anything more, he sat down on the floor, put his arms up on the bed to make less distance between both wrists and laid his head on the mattress.

Fatigue struck him suddenly and his eyelids gradually became as heavy as two buildings. It was three o'clock in the afternoon, there was no other noise but the singing of little birds. Not to mention the paralyzing heat.

Simon closed his eyes and fell asleep.