Chapter Twenty-Seven

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
ZIZI
She watched the energy tube closely. Zizi wasn't sure why it had happened, but somehow, Elgan's half of the powers had abandoned Zell. Now, the Alliance members were taking turns guarding the energy tube as Zell struggled to re-balance himself. He was mostly unconscious, but she could feel his mind racing constantly. He was completely unstable and having constant misfirings that only the energy tube could keep from harming others.

"Zizi... You must be exhausted," a voice said sympathetically. Jezzeff joined her, smiling at her charmingly.

"I'm okay, Jezzeff," she replied.

He waved his hand and manifested two cups of coffee. "Sugar and milk?" He asked as the cups floated in the air.

"Sure," Zizi said with a smile of her own.

He snapped his fingers. Zizi watched milk and sugar pour themselves into the cups. Then, one floated toward her as Jezzeff took the other. He took a sip. Zizi was fairly certain he had no reason to poison her, so she cautiously took a sip from her cup. She had to admit that the caffeine soothed her.

"Nice trick," she told him.

"I learned to conjure millennia ago. My closest friend taught me a few tricks. He was far more gifted at it, but I gained a better grasp of it after he perished," Jezzeff replied.

"How did he die?"

"I killed him." He paused. "I suppose I could have lied, but we're on the same side here, right? I never wished to harm Vee, but Great Zell made it clear it was the only way to stay on the necessary path."

"You killed your own best friend?" Zizi whistled. "That's commitment." Internally, she was horrified by how casual Jezzeff sounded as he confessed to his crime.

"It was necessary," Jezzeff said with a shrug.

"I get it. My mother wasn't the mushy sort. She'd have done the same thing." Unless it was Rupi... I think... Zizi added silently. Her mother's only hint of humanity tied back to Rupi, and no matter how awful she had been, Zizi was pretty sure hurting Rupi was the one line she wouldn't have crossed.

"Are you alright, Zizi? You look like your mind wandered a bit," Jezzeff said with apparent concern.

"I'm fine," Zizi replied. "Just thinking about my uncle. I miss him." She wasn't sure why she'd admitted that, but she didn't see the harm. Everyone knew she'd loved her uncle, even Zell.

Jezzeff looked sympathetic. "That must have been a difficult loss so soon after your mother. She was quite gifted, you know. I was always impressed with her. Rupi was a lovely young man as well. Gifted and loyal... It's tragic how things ended for them." He reached toward her, putting a comforting hand on her shoulder. Zizi was surprised by how soothing his touch was.

For a split second, an image flashed in her mind. She was in Jezzeff's arms, sobbing. "He's gone, Jezz... Zutan has perished," she said softly as he held her.

Zizi jumped back from him. "Zizi? Are you well? What's wrong?" Jezzeff asked.

"I... I don't know," Zizi replied. She took a deep breath. "I think you're right about me being exhausted."

"Allow me to take over here. Go and rest. You'll feel better after being away from this for a bit," Jezzeff said soothingly.

I'm so sorry for your loss, Rosemary, dear... If there is anything I can do to help you through this, please let me know, Jezzeff said soothingly.

His arms felt incredibly safe. Her brother was gone, but she wasn't alone in the  world. She had Jezzeff. She'd always been fond of him, and he was being so sweet to her now... She snuggled against him, desperately seeking comfort in her extreme grief. A part of her had died... The very person who had brought her back to life against all odds... The boy who'd stubbornly refused to listen when his older, wiser friends and co-workers told him she was already gone and nothing could be done... The boy who'd insisted his parents take her in because he had saved her life and she had no one else to care for her...