1 - The Memory

"I know what you are." The chilling female voice was drawn out from the deepest, most clouded corner of his mind.

"I know what you are. I know what you will become." He squeezed his eyes tightly shut and hoped the voice would just leave him alone.

"I know how you got here and I know what their plan was. It won't work." The voice continued to whisper. He shivered. The voice seemed to be permeating from the very darkness of his room. He pulled himself even further under the patterned quilt that covered his bed.

"Did they really think to stop me?" the voice gave a harsh mocking laugh, "They don't know the future as I do." He shook himself, wanting to free himself from the dark weight that had settled into the room. And then he felt it. The light touch on his face as if a long, pointed fingernail was stroking his cheek. He raised his hand to cover the spot, but of course there was nothing there. There never was.

"I should kill you, boy," the voice continued, no longer a whisper in the darkness but now a pounding in his head, his mind throbbing with every word.

"I should kill you and throw you back out into the snow. I know what you are! I know what you will do!" He covered his ears as the voice receded to a whisper in his head.

"I know what you are. I know what you'll do. I know what you will become. And I will stop you. But not tonight. No. Not tonight. Tonight I'll let you live, with this memory. Every time you think of it, you will descend further and further into madness. You won't remember me. You won't remember why. You will only remember my words and my voice. And they will haunt you, every night, from this day forward." The voice faded to a whisper and a breath of cold air whispered into his ear, "William Stone."