6 - More Secrets

Once Will was settled in a spare room upstairs, Crissy and Nick retired to the bar. Nick sighed as he settled onto a stool and scrubbed his hands over his face. Crissy smiled at her old friend and passed him a shot of whiskey. 

"Thanks, Crissy," Nick nodded in appreciation, throwing the drink back in one go. Crissy laughed and poured him another.

"That bad, huh?" she commented. Nick made a noncommittal noise and the two lapsed into their own thoughts.

"Are you sure it's ok for him here?" Nick eventually spoke.

Crissy smiled, "I've been looking for my nephew for fourteen years, Slater. I'm not letting him out of my sight."

"It's going to be dangerous," Nick warned, "If those bastards realise where he is, you'll have a big mess to clear up."

"Then we just make sure he isn't discovered," Crissy shrugged.

"How are you going to break the news to your kids?"

Crissy sighed wearily, "I don't know yet. Don't make me think about that yet. I still can't really believe he's here. Give me time to process here."

"Alright," Nick threw his hands up in mock surrender and took a sip of his drink, savouring the flavour.

"Where was he all this time?"

"Right under our nose apparently."

"He was here!?"

"Yup. We couldn't believe it when we heard the name on our hunt."

"Those demons didn't do anything to him, did they?" Nick placed a soothing hand over Crissy's.

"They didn't harm him," he assured her, "They were saving her for the Queen."

"That...that..." Crissy's hands clenched in anger, "I have no words for the damage that evil creature has caused my family."

"I know Cris."

"What kind of person curses a four year old?"

"She's not a person, Crissy. Not really. You know Witches don't have emotions like we do."

Crissy sighed, "I know. I've just missed out on so much of his life, Nick. I don't know what to say to him."

"It will come in time, you know that," Nick Slater looked into the eyes of his friend and squeezed her hand, "It will all work out."

Crissy nodded and squeezed back, "I know."

"Nick," Lisa appeared beside the man, looking more stoic than usual. Crissy and Nick jumped away from each other.

"What's up?" Nick asked cooly. If Lisa was suspicious of anything, she didn't show it.

"You both need to come see this," she lead the way out the back of the pub. The two at the bar shared a concerned look, before rushing after her.

"You know this guy?" Lisa asked. Crissy moved forward to see what the Witch Hunter was talking about. She peered grimly at the sight. There, slumped on the bench, was a very cold, and very dead, bartender. 

"It's Richard," Crissy confirmed, moving over to the man and lifting his head to check his pulse.

"Please tell me there is a lot of crime in this area and he was the unfortunate victim of some random robbery," Nick massaged his temples.

Crissy shook her head, "No such luck," she inspected the knife wound in the man's chest, "Looks like a sharp, curved blade."

"Witches," Lisa pursed her lips in anger.

"I'm afraid so," Crissy nodded.

"They followed us after all," Nick lost his cool and punched the brick wall of the pub.

"Hey," Crissy reprimanded without looking up from the man of the bench, "Don't damage my cover."

"What's the plan?" an unusually sullen Lily asked from her spot behind the bench. Christina stood up from examining Richard, she straightened her clothing, and met each of the groups stares.

"Here's what we do," the calm woman stated, determination oozing out of every pore, "We get rid of the body, cover the scene and we do everything in our power to keep my nephew safe. Is that clear?"

"Yes ma'am," Nick smirked as the Witch Hunters got to work.