chapter two

For a long time life in the jungle was heaven on earth. The animals had plenty of food to eat. They lived peacefully without any wrangles. Any problem that arose was combated by all the animals. They were ever willing to give a hand where need arose. Indeed they understood that many hands make work lighter and grief shared is easily solved. Simba ensured that every animal was happily contented and comfortable. The jungle was heaven on earth.
The orchard was well guarded to keep away malicious intruders. The guard was the fierce buffalo. All animals dreaded any encounter with the buffalo. His sharp horns and fury scared the animals out of their wits. He patrolled the orchard day and night looking out for any one trespassing. Once contented that everything was okay he would fall sound asleep at his favorite spot beside the gate to the orchard. He was convinced no animal would have the guts to sneak into the garden lest they would face the music.
One season, there was inadequate rain. The grass in the jungle quickly withered and dried up. The animals were in fog what to do. The food became scarce day in day out until many of them became all skin and bones. Effort to get food was as futile as flogging a dead horse. Often the animals would argue and fight over the little food available. Every day Simba solved numerous conflicts among the animals. He was now worried over the jungle.
The orchard was not affected by the drought. Simba made sure that his servants watered the fruit trees every day. That way the trees had ripe juicy fruits awaiting harvesting. The servants harvested the ripe fruits every day and kept them in the store. The rest of the animals would buy the fruits from the store. It was quite a relief for many animals that Simba had plenty of fruits to sell. They made long queues every day to buy the fruits. Simba employed more servants in the orchard. They planted more fruit trees and watered them. This way the harvest increased and the animals had adequate food. Once again there was tranquility in the jungle. Simba was proud of himself.
King Simba often trotted around the orchard on his horse. He would inspect the trees and the servants working in the garden. It gave him pleasure at the sight of trees laden with ripe and succulent fruits. Occasionally the Lioness would accompany him. They chit- chatted as they strolled around the garden. The workers loved it when the Lioness visited the orchard. She often took for them a delicious meal. Who in the jungle did not know of the Lioness cooking prowess?
While all the animals remained honest to Simba, there was an exception of one. This was the cunning hare. The animals in the jungle did not like the hare. He was very crafty and often deceived the rest of the animals to get whatever he wanted. The hare was daring enough to steal fruits from the orchard. He was well aware of the consequences but all in all he gave it a cold shoulder. Late into the night, He would creep stealthily into the garden through a small opening he had made through the fence. He would then harvest as may fruits as he could and stuff them onto his handcart. Once contented, he would smartly sneak away hauling the cart behind him.