ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 4 - ᴀ ᴠɪꜱɪᴛᴏʀ

Sean dropped me back to my apartment in his Cadillac an hour back. There was still two hours left for the clock to strike 10. That's when Sean said that he would be coming over to my apartment with a few other officers so that I could safely be moved to his house. The first thing I did once I reached back was rush into my bedroom and grab my travel luggage, filling it up with a few sets of clothes, my toiletries and a few other essentials. I then left the luggage in the bedroom and went out into my living room, ensuring that all the curtains were drawn.

I warmed up the leftovers from our picnic and gobbled them up in a hurried manner although I still had time, perhaps I was getting restless and anxious. To calm my nerves, I pulled out my bottle of tequila and without bothering to use a glass, I just curled my fingers around the neck of the bottle and slackened onto the comfortable couch, resting my feet on the coffee table as I took a long sip, letting the bitter liquid rush down my throat and settle into the pit of my stomach.

I decided to turn on my TV set and go through the news channels when I heard a faint knock on my front door. Dread creeped over me and left me numb and paralysed for a few seconds. I had no idea who that could be, it definitely wasn't Sean. What if it was that man? He could be here to kill me for what I knew. Maybe I sat back in paralysis for long enough because whoever that was on the front door started knocking on the door with a sense of urgency that hadn't reflected in his earlier knocking.

My first instinct was to rush to the telephone and call Sean but I don't know why, I stood up, my knees almost buckling underneath me and nervously made my way to the window to see who it was on the other side of the door.

I placed my hand slowly on the curtain and moved it only a little so that I could look out of the crevice between the two curtains. When I saw who it was, every muscle in my body froze for a second and I stood there like a deaf and dumb person, unable to comprehend, unable to understand why he was on my doorstep at this hour without the flank of his secret service agents.

I was jerked out of my daze and a sudden flush of fear gripped me. I was terrified suddenly, not for myself but for the President. He was acting stupid enough to stand here on my doorstep unprotected, unguarded. With one swift motion, I unlocked the door and threw it wide open, my eyes looking at him with an impregnable glare. Our eyes met and locked right there for a few seconds before I abruptly felt myself reaching out for him. I grabbed him roughly by his arm, forgetting that he was the most powerful man in the world.

His eyes flicked from my eyes down to my hand that was gripping his arm and his expressions turned to that of perplexity. I pulled him inside my home and locked the door behind me, letting out an exhale of a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I turned back around and my nose flared in anger at his recklessness. I risked my life for this man and here he was, standing on my doorstep, like this.

"Mr. President, sir, you have crossed all limits of stupidity today." I blurted out, recklessly, forgetting the fact that I could have been found dead in a ditch the next day just for offending the President of the United States.

"I see." He merely whispered, unfazed by my sudden outburst, his rugged palm running through his neatly styled hair. He stood his ground, not bothering to even take a step back from me which made me suddenly realize how close he was standing to me, almost towering over me by a few inches. "How old are you, Ms. Thompson?" His next question caught me off guard.

"Sir?" I confirmed, just to make sure that I had heard it right.

"Your age, Ms. Thompson?"

"26, sir." I whispered, my voice now reduced to barely a whisper from a snarl.

I saw his lips twitch slightly as though he was desperately trying not to give me a wide smile. Then he spoke again."It amazes me, Ms. Thompson, how a young woman like yourself could have such a hold on me that I fear what makes her so angry at me."