ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 5 - ʟʏʀɪᴄ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴀʀᴋ

I quietly locked my bedroom door from inside, being very cautious not to make any sound and then pressed myself against the back of the door. I was standing alone in a room with a door in between me, separating me from the most powerful man in the world who was casually sitting in my living room, waiting for me to pack my bags.

Who was I?

I was a no one.

Why was he doing this for me?

This reminded me that I couldn't keep him waiting. Quickly, I changed into a fresh outfit, an olive green overcoat with a fur collar and my pumps. I practically lifted off my heavy luggage from the bed where it had been laying earlier and carried it out of my bedroom. That's when I realized that John Kennedy wasn't alone anymore, he was surrounded by seven of his secret service agents. The President said something to one of the agents in hushed tones and the next minute, that agent was by my side, helping me with my travel luggage.

Within the next few minutes, I was sitting next to one of the Secret Service agents named Paul Landis in their limo, staring out of the window, watching the empty streets, lost in my own thoughts. A part of me felt guilty when I thought about Sean, the least I could have done was leave him a letter or call him and let him know. I couldnt stop wondering how my destiny had brought me so close to John Fitzgerald Kennedy, I would be living in the same building as he was. I remembered the times I would watch his speech on TV and swoon over how handsome he was.

I knew that deep down in my heart, it was wrong to think of the President as anything other than that. The only emotion that I was going to allow myself to feel for him was respect. I didn't realize that we had already reached the White House for the agent sitting next to me, Paul, he politely tapped me on my shoulder and informed me that I was to follow them for the security protocol before I was taken to the guest bedroom.

--

It was a hectic hour but finally I was alone in my massive guest bedroom in the White House, dazed beyond words and confused and a puzzled expression on my face. Worst of all, I was exhausted and in a need of a good night's rest. I unpacked and neatly arranged my clothes in the massive oak closet, pulling out my black long night dress.

I threw my overcoat off and slid my arms and my neck through the nightdress and taking of my brazier. I then neatly placed my discarded clothes into the closet of the room I was going to stay in until a better arrangement could be made for me.

A wide yawn escaped my lips and I pulled up the covers, gawking at the inviting, magnificent queen sized bed in front of me. I slid underneath the silken covers and laid down, resting my head on the softest of the pillows I had ever laid on, staring at the ceiling.

Just then, there was a knock on the bedroom door and a look of alarm flashed through my face. I slid out of my covers again and grabbed a robe, wrapping it around my body before slowly making my way up to my bedroom door and unlocking it.

A young girl, about my age, wearing a maid's uniform, a duster in her hand and an innocent smile on his face, stood at my front door. Her smile vanished when she looked down at me and a heavy frown crowned her forehead suddenly, "I'm so foolish, I apologize, Miss, I disturbed you at this hour."

"It's fine, I was still awake." I gave her a warm smile, trying to calm her down. She nodded thankfully and bit her lip.

"I, uh, I'm Carly, Miss, I work here. I just wanted to let you know that in case you need anything, please do not hesitate to let me know." She mumbled.

"I will, Carly. Thank you," I nodded and waited for her to speak.

"Well then, goodnight, Miss." She bit her lip and apprehensively, took a step away. However, as I was closing the door, she turned back again and rushed closer to me, before speaking like a rapid fast train, "Miss, thank you for saving Mr. President's life."